ENG-LANCS-PRESTON-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LANCS-PRESTON > 2003-03 > 1048689610


From:
Subject: Re: PRESTON NAMES - Cross
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:40:10 EST


Mine too:

CROSS (Barton/Broughton/Preston) - this is the family of Richard Assheton
Cross, the first Viscount. According to family lore, we are descended from
his great-uncle, Gideon Cross. The fact that we haven't as yet found a
baptism for the aforesaid Gideon remains a source of genealogical stress!

This is what I know:

To the north of Liverpool,close to the town of Ormskirk lies the village of
Aughton, the manor of which had by the middle of the twelfth century been
divided among two or threeholders subordinate to the Lord of Aughton,
Thurstan Banastre. It is supposed, from their names, that they were
descendants of the Welshmen who settled in Lancashire in 1177 when Robert
Banastre was expelled from Rhuddlan by Owain Gwynedd, and that Aughton being
a Banastre manor, lands were granted to them there. Early in the thirteenth
century, one mesne lord was Richard le Waleys (or, the Welshman),whose father
Robert le Waleys had held land there in the opening years of the reign of
King Henry III. (In 1246, Robert Blundell, rector of Aughton claimed two
oxgangs from Madocson of Llewelyn and Quenilda, widow of Richard le Waleys.
Quenilda was one of five sisters, co-heirs of Richard, son of Roger de
Lathom, who died in 1201 and had married Margery,daughter of Thurstan
Banastre.) Richard le Waleys, who in1210 had granted land to the abbey of
Cockersand, was said by the Prior ofBurscough to have erected a horse-mill
within the latter’s “Land of the Cross”– (henceforth the family were
referred to as “of the Cross” or “de Cruce”) –but the parties came to an
arrangement whereby Richard acknowledged the prior’stitle and received the
mill at a rent of 12d. In 1278 Richard le Waleys, of the Cross the Younger
successfully defended himself from acharge that he had dispossessed Richard
de Bickerstath of common of pasture inLathom. (In 1291 Robert, son of Richard
le Waleys. of the Cross, and hisbrothers Henry and Adam complained that
Richard had disseised them of a messuage and land in Lathom, and the jurors
endorsed their claim.) Adam de Cruce or del Crosse in about 1277 obtained
from William son of William de Preston and Eleanor his wife a messuage and 14
acres of land in Wigan. Further grants of land to him are known including
one in Holywell Carr. To his daughter Ellen, upon her marriage toWilliam de
Wigan in 1292, he gave land in the Rye Field and Holywell Carr. The “de
Cruce” of the Latin deeds also appears as “de la Croyz”, “atte Crosse” and
“del Crosse”, and the familyappears to have come from Lathom, close to the
boundary of the Burscough Priory estate. (Also in 1277, the rector of Wigan
had a dispute with a William del Crosse as to whether the latter’s toft
belonged to the church of Wigan or to a lay fee.) John del Crosse, son of
Adam del Crosse was defendant, with others, in a plea of mort d’ancestor in
1295. Later he had various disputes with Alan son of Walter the Fuller (or
de Wigan), husband ofhis sister Ellen. As early as 1299 hehad released all
his right in the lands his father had given Ellen on her marriage and in 1315
a final agreement was made. He was a defendant in 1292 in two Wigan cases,
Henry de Leighbeing one plaintiff and Hugh son of William the reeve the
other. In 1304 he had a grant of land in the Strindesin the islands of
Wigan, on the east side of the high road from Wigan to Out-townBridge. In
1324-5 he granted to his son Thurstan, upon the latter’s marriage, another
burbage which he had received from his sister Margery; the Greater Hey called
the Eiclyves, and other lands; with remainders to the grantor’s son William,
and to his daughter Maud (or Matilda), wife of Henry Banastre. In1329, by
fine, Henry Banastre secured from John del Crosse four messuages and lands in
Wigan, Thurstan son of John and the rector of Wigan also putting in their
claims. About the same time, Robert de Clitheroe the rector called on John
del Crosse to render an account for the time he was the rector’s bailiff in
Wigan, from Michaelmas 1313 until the endof August 1316, during which time
the profits of three mills, markets and fairsamounted to £160, and from
September 1316 until April 4th 1324, during which time the issues of the
church as in the corn, hay, beasts, great tithes, small tithes, oblations,
obventions and other profits amounted, he said, to £1,500. The money
receipts during the same period amounted to £335 11s 7d. At the trial John
did not appear, but the jury decided against him and he was committed to the
Fleet Prison. In the following year the rector sought to make it clear that
the four messuages and lands held by John del Crosse and Thurstan his son
were free alms of the church of Wigan and not their lay fee. John seems to
have died about this time and Thurstan only is named in the following year.
Thurstan del Crosse and Emma his wife were plaintiffs in a Wigan dispute in
1334. Thurstan appears as witness to charters from1346 to 1367. He was
defendant in a law-suit of 1355. Hugh del Crosse, son of Thurstan del
Crosse, made sundry grants in 1370, charging an annual rent of 1 mark on his
Wigan lands in favour of William son of Adam de Liverpool, who seems then to
have married Katherine widow of John son of Aymory. In 1382 he made a
feoffment ofhis lands in Wigan and Leigh, and in 1386 he was mayor of the
town. He appears to have died about 1392. Katherine his widow, afterwards
wife ofThomas de Hough, in 1403 granted to trustees the lands she had from
her late husband. In 1395 the feofees of Hugh del Crosse gave lands received
from him to Henry his son (possibly from an earlier marriage), with
remainders to his widow Katherine (for life), to Imaynedaughter of Hugh and
Katherine, to William and to Gilbert, brothers of Hugh. These are not heard
of again. From this it appears that Katherine, who was a daughter of Adam son
of Matthew de Kenyon, was four times married: i) – to John son of Aymory,
about 1366; ii) – to William son of Adam de Liverpool who died in 1383 and
who was the first recorded mayor of Liverpool; iii) – to Hugh del Crosse
who died about 1392; and iv) – to Thomas de Hough of Thornton Hough in
Wirral, who died in 1409. ) Richard del Crosse, son of Hugh del Crosse, first
appears in the charters of 1400-1, although he could not have been of full
age. However in a writ dated 1445 excusing him from serving on juries, he is
said to be over sixty years old. Richard del Crosse prospered. He was
receiver for Maud, Lady Lovell, and acquired lands in Liverpool and Chorley
at the beginning of the 15th century. Settling in the former town he and his
successors had little further direct connection with Wigan. In 1409he was
mayor of Liverpool. The Crosse Hall estate in Chorley was founded by this
Richard. In 1405 and 1409 he obtained grants of land in Cronton, Woolton,
Hale and Halewood, and by deed dated September 1411 received land in Chorley
by conveyance from John de Duxbury and John de Wroo. Richard purchased a
moiety from Thomas Trigg in 1418-20, and soon afterwards he obtained from
William Woodward his south part of Eaveshey in Chorley and all his water of
Bagin Brook. Thomas, son of Sir John Stanley, confirmed the transfer which
included the right to make a mill. John Crosse, son and heir of Richard, who
followed his father as Mayor of Liverpool in 1459 and again at advanced age
in 1476, and who was the founder of the chantry of St. Katherine, obtained a
further confirmation and his son, Richard Crosse, in 1513 gave to feofees his
capital messuage called Eaves Hall or Crosse Hall. This Richard also made an
exchange with Sir John Ireland, taking certain tenements in Wavertree and
Liverpool in place of his own holding in Halewood. Richard’s eldest son,
Roger Crosse died in 1522 holding messuages etc. in Chorley of the Lords of
Leylandshire by a rent of 26s 8d and others of the Hospitallers by a rent of
4d. These rents are a moiety of the 4 marks paid by Sir Robert de Holland
for Healey and that due for a third part of Eaveshey. The heir was Roger’s
brother John, rector of Moulsloe in Buckinghamshire. Healey afterwards passed
to another brother, James Crosse, who died in January 1557-8 holding the same
estate (Healey now being called a manor) and leaving a son John Crosse,
thirty-three years of age, to inherit it. James held lands in Liverpool
(including“Liverpool Hall”), West Derby, Much Woolton, Upholland, Golbourne,
Wigan, Heath Charnock, Coppull and Chorley. The Walton inheritance had gone
to his half-sisters and their heirs. James was son of Richard Crosse by a
second marriage of 1493 to Elizabeth, daughter of Edmund Wynstanley, and as
brother and heir of John Crosse in 1533 made an agreement with his sisters
Blanche, wife of Roger Breres, and Margaret, wife of George Garston, as to
their inheritance. In the same year he, as citizen and goldsmith of London,
agreed that John his son and heir, should marry Alice, daughter of Roger
Asshaw. John Crosse probably resided for the most part in Liverpool, of
which town he was mayor in 1556. In 1569 he made a feoffment of Crosse Hall
in Chorley, with various lands there and the moiety of a water-mill; this may
have been on the occasion of a second marriage. He had sold part of the
Healey estate called “Hall of the Wood” toWilliam Chorley in 1561. John
Crossedied in or before 1583 when his son JohnCrosse was in possession. This
John was in 1590 “one of the more usual comers to church but not
communicant”. This attachment to Roman Catholicism though irresolute, may
account for the relative obscurity of the family for some time. John Crosse,
who died in 1612, was succeeded by his son Richard Crosse who himself died in
1619leaving as his heir his son John Crosse agedonly nineteen years. John
Crosse,described as “of Liverpool” was a recusant about 1630, but the amount
of his composition on that account is not recorded. He died at Toxteth Park
in 1640 just before the outbreak of the Civil war, and his heir was again a
minor, for John’s son Richard by Juliana Banastre, his first wife, was
sixteen years of age. The capital messuage called Crosse Hall with
water-mill etc. in Chorley and Healey had in 1631 been settled to the use of
his second wife Frances Woolfall, the mother of JohnCrosse. In 1652, this
John Crosse complained that his small estate in Mellor and Shawley, inherited
from his late father had, when he was ten, been sequestered on grounds of his
having been“educated in popery”. Upon attaining the age of seventeen, he
took oath of abjuration and the property was restored to him. The estate
included property in Goosenargh, from where at least two of his sons migrated
to the neighbouring village of Barton. Henry Cross, who married Joan Hall of
Woodplumpton, lived in Barton Mill and pursued tannery as an occupation,
being the first member of the family to be registered in the Guild Rolls of
Preston as an In-Burgess in 1702 and 1722. His third surviving son, William
Cross inherited this property from his father. Marrying EllenBeesley, he
presided over a large family which included John Cross and his wife Dorothea
Assheton, the grandparents of the first Viscount Cross. Family tradition
states that a younger son of William, Gideon Cross movedfrom Lancashire to
Somerset, having married Mary Hutchings in Babcary church in1778. This link
has yet to be proved,and it could well be that Gideon was an illegitimate
child of one of the elder of William and Ellen’s daughters. Whatever, by the
1801 census, the family were domiciled in Babcary,although clearly in rather
less grand circumstances. Little is known about Gideon, save that he dwelt
in a freeholdproperty comprising house and garden, and was last heard of on
December 18th 1832 when he cast his vote in an election, five days before his
death. His son ThomasCross who had, in 1811 married Jane Cannon, also of
Babcary, apparently pre-deceased him.

I can't claim that this has been dreadfully difficult research! The Victoria
County History of Lancashire proved an absolute gold-mine, and the Cross
Documents (Trans. Hist. Soc) corroborated most of the earlier information.
However, if the family tradition is ultimately disproved, and we are NOT part
of this Cross family, then stand by for some REALLY big-time sulking!!!!!

LOL!

Best wishes from Bath,

Colin Hunt.









































This thread: