GADECATU-L ArchivesArchiver > GADECATU > 2001-04 > 0988341254
From: "Greg & Winnette" <>
Subject: Lake Seminole a little History
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:14:14 -0400
The area now called Lake Seminole has been occupied and used by man for at least 10,000 years. Ancient Native Americans once exploited the region's abundant natural resources. Later native peoples developed highly complex societies based on corn agriculture. They survived well into the period of the European colonization until their eventual decline and removal from the area. Lake Seminole was named for the last surviving Native Americans who were pushed into Central Florida by American militia under Andrew Jackson after 1825.
The Lake Seminole project, originally authorized as the Jim Woodruff Lock & Dam Project by the River and Harbor Act of 1946, was the first of three locks and dams constructed for navigation, hydro-power, recreation and related use purposes on the Apalachicola, Chattahoochee, and Flint River systems. Construction of this muti-purpose project began in 1947 and was completed in 1957 at a cost of 46.5 million. Electric power generated by the Jim Woodruff Powerhouse serve both homes and industry. Group tours can be arranged by contacting the Resource Management Office or the Jim Woodruff Powerhouse.
Lake Seminole borders both Georgia and Florida and has 37,500 acres of water and over 18,000 acres of surrounding land. Extending up the Chattahoochee River 30 miles and up the Flint River 35 miles, Lake Seminole has 376 miles of shoreline.