GAGWINNE-L ArchivesArchiver > GAGWINNE > 2004-05 > 1085718321
From: Archives <>
Subject: Ga-Gwinnett Co. Bible (Mt. Moriah)
Date: 28 May 2004 04:25:21 -0000
Gwinnett County GaArchives Church Records.....Mt. Moriah Copyright Date 1911
Copyright. All rights reserved.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Ann Anderson May 28, 2004, 4:25 am
This church is one of the oldest in the county. Just what year witnessed its
organization can not he stated, but some are inclined to believe that it was
constituted in 1800. Certainly it was organized by or before 1820.
In July, 1828, the church had a membership of more than two hundred.
The church minute for October 31, 1835, reads as follows:
"The church at Mt. Moriah met in conference, Brother R. Philips, moderator.
Inquired for fellowship and Brother Miller came forward with a charge of
intoxication against himself, and the church agreed to continue the case. Called
for reference, and the case of Brother Samuel Fraser was laid over. Also the
case of Brother Isaac Seago was laid over. Also, the case of Sister Elizabeth
Brown was called and she came forward and gave satisfaction and her letter was
On December 31, 1836, the church unanimously called Ansolem Anthony as pastor.
On April 3, 1841, Rev. Richard Phillips was elected pastor. He was again called
A camp-meeting was held for several years at this church in the forties and
fifties. At the August, 1846, conference, a committee consisting of G. W.
Morgan, Wm. Hall, Thos. Parish, John Cain and W. A. Cain was appointed to lay
off the camp-ground. As a result of this camp-meeting, held in 1846, 29 joined
the church at the next conference in October.
At the December meeting, "Charlott, a woman of color," joined by experience.
Richard Philips was elected pastor again in January, 1847, and also in December
for the year 1848. D. H. Moncrief was pastor in 1849.
At the September, 1849, conference, a charge was brought against G. W. Morgan,
because he had joined the Masonic order. And sometime in the early history of
the church, the following resolution relative to the church's attitude toward
the Masons was adopted:
"Believing as we do that it is unrighteous for the children of light to mingle
and mix with the sons of darkness; and as there seems to be a portion of the
Baptist denomination that is embracing that which we believe to be erroneous for
ministers of the gospel or even lay members to embrace, and which in its present
development is calculated to injure the cause of religion and stop its progress
so that the cause of Zion must languish on that account; and in order to clear
our skirts from the blood of any man, we as the Baptist church at Mt. Moriah
agree to enter our protest against what is called Free Masonry.
"Resolved, (1) That as a church we will from this time forward close our doors
to any minister of the gospel who has become a member of the Masonic lodge, as
soon as it comes to our knowledge, unless he will renounce his correspondence
entirely with them and make satisfaction for his wrongs.
"Resolved, (2) That we hold any lay member in disorder who is or shall become a
member of the Masonic fraternity, and he shall be deemed a disorderly walker and
dealt with as a transgressor.
Resolved, (3) That if any member has or shall come to the knowledge of any
brother being a Free Mason and refuses to reveal the same to the church, we will
hold him accountable and deal with him as a disorderly brother, unfaithful to
"Resolved, (4) That we oppose Free Masonry as far as in our power lies in its
present form, or until they (the Masons) will let their acts and obligations and
all their secrecy come to the light of day, that we may judge more righteously
and be the better able to do them justice and clear our skirts.
"Resolved, (5) That in order to show to the rising generation our
disapprobation to all secret combinations, we have this preamble and resolution
recorded. in our church book."
November 1, 1851, the church in conference passed this resolution:
"We, the church, take into consideration the abstract part of our decorum that
relates to Masonry, and enact that it be null and void."
James Lankston was chosen pastor in April, 1850, and in February of the
following year Silas King was elected as such.
On December 5, 1851, Jas. M. Davis was ordained to the ministry. The ministers
taking part in this important ceremony were Silas King and Amos Hadaway.
At this same conference, the church called James M. Davis, just ordained as a
minister, to the pastorate of the church.
On a page of the church record and following immediately after the minute of
the May, 1876, conference, the following statement is made: "In 1851, at the
December meeting, Elder Jas. M. Davis, our present moderator, was set apart to
the full gospel ministry. He has served the church as pastor since his
ordination to the present time, and has baptized into the fellowship of the
church 352 members. During that time Brethren D. Y. Maddox, G. L. Bagwell, L.
Williams, P. Williams and F. V. Cheek have been called and set apart to the
Rev. Jas. M. Davis served the church from 1857 to 1888, and from 1892 to 1896,
a period of 40 years. This minister was a great and good man, and during his
ministerial career baptized more than a thousand people.
P. Williams served the church two years, 1889-'90, receiving 24 members; J. L.
Phillips, 1897-'98, 7 members; L. Williams, 1899-'00; H. N. Rainey, 1901-'06, 20
members; F. V. Cheek, 1905-'06, 8 members; J. M. Williams, 1907-'08, 18 members;
J. M. Hudlow, 1909-'10, 13 members; J. M. Sheffield is the present pastor.
From 1874 to 1911, there have been 216 additions to the church by baptism.
In March, 1878, the church organized a Sunday school. It has been carried on
most of the time since, the present superintendent being E. Williams.
On August 5, 1859, a union meeting was held there, and all the churches
represented were urged to hold weekly prayer-meetings.
The church has 149 members, to-wit:
Z. T. Maddox, Sr.,
A. C. Manning,
W. R. Puckett,
J. M. Tuggle,
C. A. Deaton,
H. M. Tuggle,
G. W. Hardy,
J. O. Wright,
M. F. Tuggle,
J. A. Deaton,
S. C. Lowery,
R. A. Hayes,
J. T. Harrison,
J. B. Evans,
J. M. Taylor,
F. P. Harrison,
J. E. Hayes,
S. J. Wright,
R. E. Stanley,
Z. T. Maddox, Jr.,
J. M. Davis,
T. G. Hayes,
H. D. Anglin,
W. E. Pool,
C. H. Boggs,
G. J. Tuggle,
F. M. Hardy,
J. P. Taylor,
S. D. Harrison,
W. B. Stephens,
W. M. Hayes,
J. E. Harrison,
E. D. Clack,
C. M. Manning,
J. R. Holman,
O. D. Cheek,
A. J. Maddox,
G. C. Ethridge,
U. G. Sloan,
J. E. Williams,
M. J. Hall,
E. M. Hall,
M. A. Hardy,
E. A. Deaton,
J. C. Pirkle,
M. J. Skelton,
M. A. Greeson,
B. L. Deaton,
W. J. Hayes,
E. A. Timms,
R. A. Wright,
M. J. Bailey,
Sallie Bell Manders,
H. R. Williams,
A COMPLETE HISTORY OP EVERY CHURCH
IN GWINNETT COUNTY, GEORGIA,
WITH SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL
SKETCHES OP ITS
J. C. FLANIGAN
This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.net/gafiles/
File size: 8.8 Kb
|Ga-Gwinnett Co. Bible (Mt. Moriah) by Archives <>|