GAGWINNE-L ArchivesArchiver > GAGWINNE > 2004-05 > 1085762978
From: Archives <>
Subject: Ga-Gwinnett Co. Bible (Hebron)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:49:39 -0400
Gwinnett County GaArchives Church Records.....Hebron Copyright Date 1911
Copyright. All rights reserved.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Ann Anderson May 28, 2004, 12:49 pm
The above named church was organized on July 2, 1842. The first building was
erected this same year some two and a half miles southeast of the present site
on the land now belonging to the J. G. Loveless estate, near the Davenport
place. It remained there until 1844, when John Wood gave the church three acres
of land where the church now stands. Services were held in this building until
1881, when the new building was constructed, the same being used at the present
time, and which is valued at $1,000.
At the organization of the church, John Hendrix and William Wright constituted
the presbytery. The charter members were: John Wood, A. J. Wood, L. A. Wood Sr.,
H. M. Wood, Wm. Richardson, Sanford Goodwin, Mrs. Sanford Goodwin, Elizabeth
Wood, Suanna Wood, Elizabeth H. Wood, Emily H. Moore, Nancy Reed, Mary B.
Sammon, Polly A. Green and Marcouri Richardson, a colored slave.
During the 69 years of the church's history, it has had eighteen pastors. The
present pastor, Rev. H. N. Rainey, has served 30 years, or nearly one-half of
the time. The names of pastors and term of service follow: William Wright,
1842-'44; A. Hadaway, 1844-'45; S. B. Churchill, 1845-'47; Joseph I. Laudermilk,
1847-'48; D. H. Moncrief, 1848-'59; W. C. Smith, 1859-'62; J. M. Davis,
1862-'63; Cowen, 1863-'64; W. H. Strickland, 1864-'67; J. M. Davis, 1867-'68; A.
K. Tribble and H. Jackson, 1868-'70; T. E. Kennerly, 1870-'72; G. T. Robinson,
1872-'74; J. L. B. Barrett, 1874-'76; H. N. Rainey, 1876-'91; A. H. Holland,
1891-'92; N. H. Rainey, 1892-1901; J. P. McConnell, 1901-'05; H. N. Rainey, 1905
to present time.
The church has had eleven clerks, as follows: John Wood, 1841-'57; B. A.
Blakey, 1857-'67; J. T. Hadaway, 1867-'73; R. F. Watkins, 1873-'74; W. H. Wood,
1874-'86; B. S. Ambrose, 1886-'89; A. J. Green, 1889-'92; I. G. Hood, 1892-1903;
A. A. Loveless, 1903-'09; Lee Freeman, 1909-'11; A. A. Loveless, 1911.
The members of the church who have served as deacons are: John Wood, Wm.
Richardson, Lesley A. Wood, 1842-'57; B. A. Blakey, 1857-'67; J. T. Hadaway,
Stephen Moncrief, A. J. Wood, B. A. Blakey, E. S. Hogan, B. T. Harbin, J. M.
Wilson, W. H. Wood, J. G. Hood.
The church has given to the ministry A. L. Moncrief, W. H. Strickland, J. T.
Robinson and J. H. Barber.
The church has a Sunday school with an enrollment of 65. J. M. Wilson and J. D.
Self are superintendents, with Ruth Hood, Essie Jones and May Freeman as teachers.
The church is a liberal contributor to all the denominational institutions. It
has a membership of 94 females and 77 males, a total of 171, to-wit:
W. H. Wood,
Alex L. Freeman,
Cecil M. Green,
James M. Wilson,
John S. Hood,
J. Robert Hood,
W. H. Freeman,
S. H. Freeman,
J. A. Barber,
B. V. Wilson,
Jas. W. Green,
J. B. Downs,
G. L. Knight,
Alden M. Wilson,
C. F. Rainey,
A. L. Sammon,
Alva A. Loveless,
John M. Loveless,
Walter G. Mahaffey,
J. W. Hamilton,
G. B. Wright,
T. L. Ambrose,
J. H. Mahaffey,
J. W. Skelton,
T. J. Sammon,
M. T. King,
Z. T. King,
D. C. Simpson,
John E. McMillan,
A. L. Givens,
J. C. Ray,
Vincent P. Smith,
S. J. Freeman,
H. H. Deaton,
James Victor Hood,
James C. Pool,
J. W. Pound,
J. D. Self,
R. J. Davis.
Elizabeth H. Freeman,
Susie E. Brown,
Georgia A. Freeman,
Nancy A. Green,
Lucy W. Green,
Laura H. Wright,
Mary E. Williams,
Carrie F. Blakey,
Sallie C. Sims,
Linna A. King,
Mattie Loveless Hood,
Mattie Wilson Hood,
Mattie A. Ray,
Samantha C. Barber,
Annie F. Sammon,
Birdie Wood Hamilton,
Isabella J. Knight,
S. W. Wood,
Callie Pharr Wilson,
J. D. R. Mitchell,
Callie D. Wilson,
C. J. Simpson,
Minnie A. Griswell,
Annie Lee Sims,
Lovie M. Adams,
Mary E. Smith,
Maud Evelyn Stanley,
Annie May Hinton,
Mrs. J. W. Pound,
Mrs. C. J. Lane,
A COMPLETE HISTORY OF EVERY CHURCH
IN GWINNETT COUNTY, GEORGIA,
WITH SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL
SKETCHES OP ITS
J. C. FLANIGAN
This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.org/gafiles/
File size: 6.2 Kb
|Ga-Gwinnett Co. Bible (Hebron) by Archives <>|