GAGWINNE-L ArchivesArchiver > GAGWINNE > 2004-05 > 1085782494
From: Archives <>
Subject: Ga-Gwinnett Co. Bible (Hog Mountain)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:14:57 -0400
Gwinnett County GaArchives Church Records.....Hog Mountain Copyright Date 1911
Copyright. All rights reserved.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Ann Anderson May 28, 2004, 6:14 pm
On January 14, 1854, James R. Hadaway, Isabel Hadaway, Willis Head, Julia.Ann
Head, William T. Pitman, Amanda Pitman, John Morgan, Frances M. Morgan, John M.
Pitman, Thomas Pitman and Lucy Ann Pitman met near what was known as the Hog
Mountain House on the Gainesville road, 8 miles northeast of Lawrenceville, and
were organized into a church by Elder David H. Moncrief and Elder Amos Hadaway.
The first church was built in 1854.
The present building was erected in 1905, and is valued at about $1,500.
Rev. Amos Hadaway was pastor the first 11 years, during which time 113 members
were received into the fellowship of the church, 51 of these by baptism.
The Civil War came on during this pastorate and often Elder Hadaway was both
moderator and clerk.
James M. Davis was pastor 1 year, 1865, 19 members received, 2 by letter; 17
Amos Hadaway, 1 year, 1866; nine were added to the church, 5 of these by baptism.
James M. Davis was then pastor for two years, during which time 13 were
received by letter and 1 baptized.
T. E. Kennerly was pastor during the year 1869. Four members received, 3 by
letter and 1 baptized.
Amos Hadaway was pastor again in 1870.
H. N. Rainey was pastor 3 years, '71, '72 and '73. During his pastorate 20 were
baptized and 8 received by letter.
P. Williams was pastor in 1874. Two baptized, two received by letter.
H. P. Feagin was pastor in 1875. Two received by letter.
A. H. Holland served the church 7 years, up to and including the year 1882,
during which time 105 members were added to the church, twenty-seven by letter
and seventy-eight baptized.
J. L. Phillips was next pastor for 4 years. Thirty-two baptized and 12 received
A. H. Holland was again pastor 3 years, 1887, '88, '89. Twenty-eight baptized;
4 by letter.
F. V. Cheek was pastor in 1890; eight received by letter this year.
W. B. Haslett served as pastor 9 years, up to and including the year 1899.
During his pastorate 75 were added to the church, 38 of these by baptism.
J. H. Braziel was pastor in 1900 and 1901, and until his death in the early part
of the next year. Nine were baptized and 4 received by letter during his pastorate.
After the death of Elder Braziel, Richard Delong supplied the church until
September, and J. C. Johnson the remainder of the year. Elder Delong baptized 11
J. P. McConnell was pastor from January, 1903, to the close of the year 1908.
Under his pastorate 96. were received into the church, 46 of these by baptism.
S. P. Higgins served the church two years and baptized 24 converts.
J. T. Jones is our present pastor.
John M. Pitman, who was one of the members in the organization of the church,
is a member now, and attends meeting regularly.
Mrs. Morgan, another one of the original members, is still living.
The Lawrenceville association was constituted at Hog Mountain church, on
October 30, 1854.
List of Male Members.-
W. L. Andrews,
W. L. Adams,
S. S. Burel,
W. H. Bowman,
J. S. Bradbury,
A. O. Bowman,
J. S. Burel,
R. C. Broadwell,
H. G. Bryan,
J. A. Boss,
C. W. Chesser,
E. E. Clark,
W. C. Chesser,
A. F. Guthrie,
C. M. Glaze,
C. J. Hill,
H. C. L. Henderson,
L. M. Hadaway,
J. P. Hadaway,
Rev. J. C. Johnson,
M. M. Johnson,
A. B. Jones,
J. C. Johnson, Jr.,
N. L. King,
J. J. Kirkpatrick,
J. L. Mauldin,
J. W. McElvany,
A. A. Mauldin,
W. C. Mauldin,
J. H. Nelson,
W. J. Phillips,
J. M. Pitman,
S. H. Pounds,
J. W. Simpson,
D. A. Thomas,
W. L. Thomas,
L. B. Tate,
H. R. Thomas,
K. E. Taylor,
H. P. Williams.
List of Female Members.-
Jennie Mae Bradford,
Georgia A. Davis,
Mary J. Daniel,
L. K. Henderson,
Mary J. Mooney,
Mrs. ---. Nelson,
Mary J. Pitman,
Lillie Belle Simpson,
Mary E. Tullis,
A COMPLETE HISTORY OF EVERY CHURCH
IN GWINNETT COUNTY, GEORGIA,
WITH SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL
SKETCHES OF ITS
J. C. FLANIGAN
This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.org/gafiles/
File size: 6.2 Kb
|Ga-Gwinnett Co. Bible (Hog Mountain) by Archives <>|