GAGWINNE-L ArchivesArchiver > GAGWINNE > 2004-05 > 1085783992
From: Archives <>
Subject: Ga-Gwinnett Co. Bible (Chestnut Grove B)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:39:52 -0400
Gwinnett County GaArchives Church Records.....Chestnut Grove Baptist Copyright Date 1911
Copyright. All rights reserved.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Ann Anderson May 28, 2004, 6:39 pm
Chestnut Grove Baptist church, located a half a mile from Grayson, was
constituted in the year 1850, and is therefore 61 years old. Its membership at
the time of organization consisted of nine members, to-wit: John Carroll, J. G.
H. Herring, Nathan Fowler, James Johnson, James Young, J. North, Seam'on Moor,
Isaac Petty and George Petty.
Rev. Seamon Moore was the first pastor, serving from 1850 to 1852; Rev. Wiii.
Lacy came next as pastor, serving from 1852 to 1854; Rev. Wm. Haslett, from 1854
to 1856; Rev. John Davis, from 1856 to 1860; Rev. Sam Churchill, from 1860 to
1865; Rev. T. E. Kennerly, from 1865 to 1868, four joining the church; Rev. J.
W. Webb, from 1868 to 1879, with forty additions; Rev. W. B. Haslett, 1879 to
1882, with twelve additions; Rev. J. R. Moor, 1882 to 1883, eight joining
church; Rev. J. P. Mc-Connell, 1883 to 1884, with nine additions; Rev. A. H.
Holland, 1884 to 1885, with seven additions; Rev. J. W. Webb, 1885 to 1886, with
twenty-five additions; Rev. Luke Robinson, 1886 to 1888, with twenty-six
additions; Rev. A. H. Holland, 1888 to 1891, with seventeen additions; Rev. E.
L. Langley, 1891 to 1894, with thirty-eight additions; Rev. H. N. Rainey, 1894
to 1897, with twenty-six additions; Rev. J. E. Kennerly, 1897 to 1899, with ten
additions; Rev. J. H. Braziel, 1899 to 1900, with twenty additions; Rev. W. L.
Singleton, 1900 to 1901, with thirty additions; Rev. J. J. Stevenson, 1904 to
1910, with 129 additions; Rev. J. P. McConnell, 1910 to 1911, with eighteen
Rev. T. T. Twitty, the present pastor, has received four members into the church.
The church has had seven clerks, viz: J. G. H. Herring, T. J. Kennerly, J. C.
Brown, P. W. McConnell, J. B. Whitworth, who served twenty-three years, O. A.
Jacobs and M. C. Ethridge, the present clerk.
The present board of deacons consists of I. R. Pettty, J. S. Roberts, F. F.
Johnson, J. R. Yancy, J. L. C. Johnson, J. J. Pratt, G. W. Gouge and M. A. Brooks.
The present building was erected many years ago, but in 1910 the church decided
to buy more ground and erect a new structure. To that end four acres of land
adjoining were bought for $400, and on this tract is being built a modern church
that will cost from $3,000 to $:3,500.
The church has a membership of 169, their names being as follows:
J. P. McConnell,
J. L. Yancy,
C. L. Pruitt,
E. J. Johnson,
J. E. Brand,
S. T. Yancy,
A. R. Petty,
Mrs. W. M. Stovall,
Mrs. John Nunally,
J. G. Carroll,
W. S. Brooks,
A. V. Stovall,
L. E. Johnson,
J. C. Johnson,
B. H. Lanford,
J. S. Yancy,
M. A. Brooks,
A. O. Caloway,
L. J. Roberts,
J. M. Head,
R. R. Hunt,
C. H. Eubanks,
M. M. Johnson,
Z. W. Braswell,
T. L. Moon,
M. A. Johnson,
R. L. Johnson,
J. E. Head,
T. C. Watkins,
C. L. Moon,
G L. Harbin,
J. D. Moon,
N. C. Tuck,
O. L. Conner,
C. L. Conner,
O. B. Petty,
A. N. Moon,
L. W. Johnson,
J. M. McCart,
J. J. Pratt,
F. C. Pratt,
J. L. C. Johnson,
C. W. Johnson,
W. L. Smith,
A. J. Conner,
F. F. Johnson,
S. M. Bennett,
Nancy E. Wade,
L. H. Johnson,
G. W. Gouge,
M. C. Ethridge,
T. J. Kilgore,
J. R. Yancy,
A COMPLETE HISTORY OF EVERY CHURCH
IN GWINNETT COUNTY, GEORGIA,
WITH SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL
SKETCHES OF ITS
J. C. FLANIGAN
This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.org/gafiles/
File size: 5.7 Kb
|Ga-Gwinnett Co. Bible (Chestnut Grove B) by Archives <>|