From: Kerry Acker <>
Subject: Re: [GAMEL-L] Frank Gamel
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:19:33 -0800

wrote:

> Train
> Ellie Sutter
> 05/24/1993
>
> This mentions Frank Gamel. Frank's body was found dead in 1906.
> If anyone would like to see this story please let me know.
>
> Nancy

Hi y'all, This is from the "Gamel book".....

Claude F. Gamel was the fourth son born to Benjamin and Alice (Lester)
Gamel. He was born 8 Oct 1884 at Gustine TX. He was killed in a train
wreck on 18 Sep 1906. The train was "Old No. 12". The Rock Island's ill
fated Chicago bound passenger train that fell through a flood weakened
Cimmaron River bridge north of Dover OK with the death of three crewmen
and a young boy who died a few days later from pneumonia. Claude F. Gamel
was the mail clerk who perished in the wreck. His body was found several
days after the accident. He was found a Johnson's Ford on the Cimmaron
about a mile and a half down stream. He is buried in Texas at Gustine
beside his father in Siloam Cemetery. He never married. The engine of the
train was still lodged against the piling of the bridge in 1979. They are
afraid to remove it as it may weaken the bridge.

Kerry

This thread: