From: <>
Subject: [GAMEL-L] GAMMELL
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 21:34:22 EST

I have a David BATTON WAT who was b. June 17, 1821 New Castle DE m. Mary L.
BROOKS (dau. of Josiah BROOKS
and Maria LONG) 1850 New Castle DE.
The only clues I have to David's ancestors are the surnames he and Mary gave
to their children as middle names. Their children were: Sara Mira (or
Maria), Annie Mary, David GAMMELL, Ella, Evalena STANTON, Josiah BROOKS,
Willam LEWIS, and John BROOKS.
Since the first born son was named David GAMMELL WAY, I would assume that the
GAMMELL family was an important family to David. The second born son was
named for Mary's father so perhaps David GAMMELL WAY was named for David
BATTON WAY's father?
This family went west to Salt Lake City with the Mormons in 1861 where David
worked as a carpenter or architect. By 1867 they had moved to Andrew Co. MO
where they lived out their lives. This family did not convert to the Mormon
religion, but I do not know what religion they were.
Thank you,
Christine

This thread: