From: Dortha <>
Subject: [GAMEL-L] WILL-GAMEL
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 20:53:01 -0800

Is there anyone who knows any thing about this family? I would like to
hear from you.I am needing info on the JAMES and son CHRISTOPHER. Thank
you, Dortha
A will from LAUREN DISTRICT dated 26 March 1808; In the
name of God Amen I, JAMES GAMBLE of S Carolina, Laurens
District, Farmer, being in Health of Body and Sound mind and memory and
understanding Praise be to god, the same, I do make this my last Will
and Testament in manner and form following That is to say, principally
and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of
Almighty god That gave it, and my Body I recommend to the Earth To be
buried in decent Christian manner, at the Old Presbyterian meeting
house, near my wife and Children. and as touching Souch worldly Estate
wherewith It hath pleased god to bless me in this Life, I give Devise
and dispose of the same in the following manner And form. First
it is my will and request that my beloved wife RACHEL shall during Her
widowhood remain in full possession of the improved part of the
plantation whereon I am now Living with the tools and implements of
husbandry in the same Like wise the stock of horses Cattle sheep and
hogs Belonging thereto. Also my Negro Fellow, TRIM, and my Negro Wench
CHARLOTT Both to remain on the plantation for the support of my wife
and Children during her widowhood, Debts coming against the Estate to be
paid honourably out of the produce of the plantation . I give and
bequeath to my son JOSIAH , WILLIAM, ISAAC, CHRISTOPHER and ELIAS
an equal part of my Land to be Equally divided among them, after the
decease of my Wife. I give and bequeath to my son JOHN the sum of
Five Shillings Sterling. I give and bequeath to my son JAMES the
sum of Five Shillings Sterling. I give and bequeath to my son GEORGE
the sum of Five Shillings Sterling. I give and bequeath to my
Daughter ELIZABETH The sum of Five Shillings Sterling. I give and
bequeath to my Daughter SUSANNAH GRAYHAM The sum of Five Shillings
Sterling. I give and bequeath to my son ISAAC the sum of Three pounds
Sterling toward his Education, to be paid To him when his age requires
Education. I give and bequeath to my son CHRISTOPHER the sum of Three
pounds Sterling toward his education, to be paid To him when his age
requires education, I give and bequeath to my son ELIAS the sum of
Three pounds Sterling toward his education, to be paid when his age
requires education. I give and bequeath to my Daughter NANCY one Bed
and Beding one Cow and Calf one wheel and a womans Saddle and
bridle. After the decease of my beloved wife, RACHEL, an Equal
division of all my moveable property to take place amongst the five
remaining Children, named JOSIAH, WILLIAM, ISAAC, CHRISTOPHER, and
ELIAS. I constitute make and ordain my beloved wife RACHEL with my
friend & Son WILLIAM GAMBLE, my Executor to see this my Last will and
Testament executed. In witness whereof I the said JAMES GAMBLE have
hereunto set my hand and Seal twenty Sixth day of march in the year of
our Lord one Thousand Eight hundred and eight and in the Thirty Second
of the American Independence. JAMES ( x) GAMBLE--- Signed, Sealed
and delivered published By the above named JAMES GAMBLE as And for his
last will and Testament in The presence of us who at his request And in
his presence have subscribed our Names as witnsses thereto, ROBT
LONG--JOHN TINNEY--WILLIAM
GRAHAM.-------
inventory or bill of appraisment for JAMES GAMBLE Deceased 10
Feberuary* 1813 State of South Carolina,---A just and
true Inventory or Bill of apraisment of all and singular the goods and
Chattels of JAMES GAMBLE SENIOR, of the district aforesaid deceased,
Which hath been Shewn to us by RACHEL GAMBLE and WILLIAM GAMBLE
Executors of the said Estate. To
wit, 1 Negro man $550., and an old
Wench $10. = $560.00 4 Head of Cattle = 145.00 11 head of
horned Cattle = 46.50 Swine $41.00., Sheep $16.50 = 57.50 geese
$8.00, poultry and bees $2.25 = $10.25 A waggon and 2 pair of
Harness = $55.00 Empliments of Husbandry= $41.50 Corn,Oats and
fodder= $101.75 Household furniture = $297.75 Total=$1315.25
Certified under our hand the tenth day of feberuary in the year one
thousand eight hundred and thirteen. JESSE JOHNSON--THOMAS
McNARY--GEO M. ENARY----

This thread: