From: "Karl Dagg" <>
Subject: Re: [GAMEL-L] Re: [Gambill Rev War Letters #2 about Martin Gamble)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:54:43 -0500

Hello Gamel Gamble List
I got a chuckle out of this letter because this Mr. Dickson said he knew
Martin Gamble was a Revolutionary War soldier and knew he was called
Captian but didn't know for sure if he really was. I do the have proof
that he really was a Captian and fought at Kings Mountain. So Enjoy #2
State of North Carolina
County of AsheI James Dickson Sn of said county of Ashe do hereby
certify and swear that the said James Dickson Senior now 74 years old was
acquainted with Martin Gamble who was a soldier of the Revolution and was
common called Capt. Gamble but whether or not he was a Captain this affiant
cannot say but this affiant can say that Gamble was called one of the
leading men of the day on the American side.
I also certify that Nancy Gambil whose name Nall before she married is the
widow of the said Martin Gambill and Nancy Gambill were called & considered
husband and wife as long as I can remember and they lived together as such
and raised a family of very respectable children who now live in Ashe and
thereabouts.
Given under my hand January 10th 1850 Subscribed by James Wagg JP
James X Dickson
my Mark

State of North Carolina
County of AsheI the subscriber and acting Justice of the peace of Ashe
County hereby certify that James Dickson whose name is attached to the
written affidavit is an old and respectable citizen of Ashe County and that
his statement is well entitled to credit.
Given under my hand
January 10th 1850
James Wagg JP

State of North Carolina
County of Ashe On this 11 day of January 1850 I
did personally appear before the subscriber an acting Justice of the Peace
for said county. Daniel Dixton a resident of said county and of late being
duly sworn according to the law. Deposited as follows that he is 78 years
old, that he was present at the marriage between Martin Gambill and Nancy
his wife and that said marriage took place according to his best
recollection in the fall of the year 1777 in the former county of Wilkes
now Ashe county and said Martin Gamble who was a Soldier of the
Revolutionary War and was an officer in the army of the Revolution and
commonly called Captain Gamble but whether or not he was a Captain this
affiant cannot say but according to the best of my recollection he was
first Lieutenant but affront can say that said Gambill was called one of
the head leading men of the day on the American side. I can certify that
Nancy Gambill who was Nall before she was married and is the widow of
Martin Gamble deceased that she never has been married since the death of
her first husband . I know that said Martin Gambill and wife Nancy were
married before the Battle of Kings Mountain and got wounded in one arm in
said Battle, I do not now recollect in which arm which disabled from
agricultural pursuits very much.
Sworn to and subscribed before me this day and year
above written Daniel X Dickson
William Poe JPhis mark

Declaration

In order to obtain the pension from the Act of Congress 7 July 1838
State of North Carolina
County of Ashe

The 17th day of July 1851 personally appeared before this subscriber an
acting Justice of the peace in and for the county of Ashe in the state of
North Carolina Nancy Gambill a resident of the county of Ashe and state
aforesaid aged 91 years old and being duly sworn according to the law took
her oath and made the following decoration in order to obtain the benefit
of the provision made by the Act of Congress passed July 7th 1838 entitled
on Act granting half pay and pension to certain widows and that she if the
widow of Martin Gambill decd. And whose lawful wife she was before 1794 who
was in the service of the Revolutionary War as stated in my decoration
before this proof of which you will refer to the papers on file in the
pension office that this is to claim the benefit of the act above alluded
to and swear to and subscribed before me this day and year above written
Nancy Gambill
Jas. Sturgill JP.

State of North Carolina
County of Ashe

Be it known that I James Sturgill a Justice of the Peace in and for the
County of Ashe in the state of North Carolina do hereby certify that Nancy
Gambill is a respectable member of the church and has long been under stood
as such in our neighborhood and I further certify that her statements well
worth and entitled to credit an her oath or otherwise given from under my
hand and swear this 17th July AD 1851
Jas. Sturgill JP

El's notes On page nine Matthew Carson and AM Long swear for Nancy
Gambill and Martin Gambill and then John Ray County clerk certifies that
James Sturgill and Matthew Carson are acting magistrates for and in said
county and that the signatures purporting to be theirs are genuine on the
21st day of July 1851 AD

January 28th 1851
State of North Carolina

I William Mastin clerk of the count of Pleasant Quarter /////// for the
county of Wilkes in state aforesaid do certify that I have made diligent
search for a Bond of Marriage license between Martin Gamble and Nancy Nall
and find no Bond on file in my office.
In testimony when I have herein to affix the seal of said county at office
Jan.28th 1851

State of North Carolina
County of AsheIn the 17th day of January AD 1854 personally appeared
before me James Gambill a Justice of the Peace for the county and state
aforesaid. Mrs. Thursa McMillian who after being duly sworn according to
law declares that she was present some three years ago when Mr. Noah Long
drew up an application and declaration for Mrs. Nancy Gambill widow of
Capt. Martin Gambill Decd. For the purpose of getting her placed on the
pension rolls of the United States and that she heard the conversation that
took place at that occasion and that she has nowhere shown a declaration
made by the said Nancy Gambill being dated 17th day of January AD 1854 in
which the conversation took place as above aforesaid to detail which
statement of said conversation declaration and advice as was made is to the
best of my knowledge and recollecting substantially correct and is the
truth. Thursa McMillian

Sworn to and subscribed before me the day and date above written and I do
hereby certify the said Thursa McMillian is a respectable citizen and a
resident of the county of Ashe State of North Carolina
James Gambill J.P.

State of North Carolina
County of AsheOn this day of January AD 1854 personally appeared before
me James Gamble a justice of the peace for the county and state aforesaid.
Noah Long who after being duly sworn according to law declares that some
three years ago drew up an application and declaration for Nancy Gambill
for the purpose of getting her placed on the pension rolls of the united
States. And the //// Noah Long
sworn to by James Gambill

State of North Carolina
County of Ashe I Robert Gambill clerk of the county of Ashe
swears that the Signature is James Gambill's 13 February 1854
Robert Gambill clk