From: "Karl Dagg" <>
Subject: Re: [GAMEL-L] Re: [Gambill Rev War Letters #3 Martin Gamble d. 20 Feb 1812 married Nancy Nall Sept 23, 1777
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:00:36 -0500

Joshua Cox swears his affidavit on 12th day of January 1850 that he is 77
years old knew Martin Gambill. Knew that he was under the command of
General Rutherford and Gen. Arthor Campbell and Col. Benjamin Cleveland who
I was personally acquainted with in that day and this affiant swears that
he well recollect Martin Gambill having a great many skirmishes against the
Tories of my own knowledge and recollect that the Tories came and robbed
from Capt. Nall and said Gambill pursued after them and took them prisoners
and three of them they put to death of my known knowledge. Josh Cox
subscriber James Gambill JP
I Mary Baker now 80 years of age do hereby certify and swear to the above,
etc.14 January 1850
Franky Johnson she is 76 years old swears to the same thing. 14 Jan 1850

State of North Carolina
County of Ashe
The Declaration of Mrs. Nancy Gambill widow of Captain Martin Gambill decd.
declare on her oath after being duly sworn according to the law that she is
the widow of the said Captain Martin Gambill that he died on 20 February
1812 as marked on his tombstone. Was a soldier of the Revolutionary War
that they lived in Wilks county NC. That they were married on Sept 23 1777
by Benjamin Hardin JP. She said she had her first born on July 12th 1779 to
wit her son the late William Gambill and
that her said husband was in much of the service subsequently to their
marriage and in the expedition and battle of Kings Mountain in the fall of
the year 1780. Etc. Nancy Gambill

Nancy was still alive in 1854 and was 94 years old.
Married at 17 years old
>From LDS records Father for Martin was Henry Gambill and Dorothy Davenport
from VA..
FYI In 1777 former county of Wilkes is now Ashe Co NC.
I found information about the Gambills,Cox,Davenport,Adams,Bakers, Boggs,
Wells and Gross's many living in PA before moving in unison to VA. I have
not had a chance to go to Lancaster Library and get copies but I will it is
on my list of things to do.

This thread: