From: "Karl Dagg" <>
Subject: Re: [GAMEL-L] Re: [Gambill Rev War Letters #4 George Gamble Washington Co, VA
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:21:19 -0500

Commonwealth of Virginia
Washington County
On the 31 St. of March 1834 personally appeared before me Robert Steward
a justice of the peace in and for the county aforesaid George Gamble a
resident of the said county in the seventy ninth year of his life and
who from bodily infirmity in unable to attend at court in order to make
this declaration who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his
oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of
the provision made by The Act of Congress passed June 7,1832. That he
served in the years 1777-1779-1780 and 1781 as hereinafter stated.

A Captain Boyd of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania made a call for
volunteers and the said Gamble first went into service in the year 1777
under Capt. Boyd of said county of Lancaster and marched first near to
Paoli, near where General Wayne was defeated and General Wayne joined us
that night. We then marched to Redding furnace from thence to a place
called The Trap near the Schuylkill River and there joined General
Washington and marched all night and engaged the British troops at
Germantown next morning. From thence we retreated to a place called
White March Hills where we had a skirmish with the British troops and
where General Froin (Irvin ?) was wounded and taken prisoner. Here the
said Gamble received a verbal discharge after having performed a tour of
service of two months. In the month of December of the same year 1777
he enrolled himself as a volunteer in a company commanded by Captain
John Garner belonging to Col. Gibborn's Regiment. They marched from
Brandywine to the White Horse from thence to Valley Forge, where they
joined the army under General Washington. From Valley Forge the company
of Capt. Garner was marched to the Frankfort Bridge and here the said
Gamble was verbally discharged having served another tour of two
months. The said Gamble then removed to Washington County in the state
of Virginia. In the month of February 1779 the said Gamble enrolled
himself as a volunteer in a company commanded by Captain Aaron Lewis of
Col. Evan Shelby's Regiment and marched to the Long Island on Holstein.
After remaining there a considerable time we were joined by other
troops. We then went on the Campaign against the Cherokees called the
Chickamaga Campaign and having destroyed many of their villages or towns
we returned home and the said Gamble was verbally discharged having
served four months. In the fall of the year he enrolled as a volunteer
in a company commanded by Capt. William Edmondson of Col. Campbell's
Regiment of Washington County militia and was on the expedition to Kings
Mountain and in that Battle. On this tour he served two months, at
least, having after the capture of the British troops marched to Wilkes
Courthouse to guard the prisoners. He also volunteered under the
command of Capt. Authur Bowen who marched to guard wagons employed in
conveying lead from the Lead mine on New River to the Moravian towns in
North Carolina and was verbally discharged after served two months. He
also served a tour of two months under Captain William Edmondson as well
as he can recollect in the year 1781 up New River against the Tories and
was verbally discharged. He also served a tour of two months as a
volunteer under Lieut. Andrew Kincannon on New River against the Tories
and was verbally discharged after serving six weeks. He also enrolled
himself as a volunteer under the command of Captain William Edmondson
Junior and march to Osborns settlement on New River. Thence to Bakers
settlement thence to Pendleton settlement in pursuit of the Tories and
was verbally discharged after a service of two months. He therefore
says that he faithfully served his country seventeen months and two
weeks during the Revolutionary War as a private soldier. He hereby
relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the
present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the
agency of any state.
Sworn to and subscribed
the day and year aforesaid Signed George Gamble
Robert Stewart
We GM Crawford and clergyman residing in the neighborhood of the above
George Gamble and Col. Wm. Byars residing in the same neighborhood
hereby certify that we are well acquainted with the said Gamble who has
subscribed and sworn to the foregoing declaration the we believe him to
be in his seventy ninth year of age that he is reputed and believed in
the neighborhood where he resided to have been a solider of the
revolution and that we concur in that opinion.
Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid.
At a court held for Washington County the 28 th day of May 1834
The court also certifies that Col. William Snodgrass and Capt. James
Keigs (Key's) who have given affidavits in these matter are credible
persons .
I David Campbell clerk of the court of Washington County do hereby
certify that the foregoing contains the original proceedings in the
matter of the application of George Gambill for a pension.
Col. Wm. Snodgrass of Sullian County, Tennessee. Personally appeared
before the county of Washington being duly sworn deposeth that he has
read the foregoing statement of George Gamble and he believes the
statement therein to be true . This affiant was with the said Gamble on
two of the Campaigns which he mentions towit the one against the
Chicamanga towns and the one to Kings Mountain and he believes His
statement to be correct sworn to and signed this day 14 th of May 1834.
This day Captain James Keys of this county personally came before the
undersigned Justice of the peace and read the statement of Gamble and
believes the statement made therein to be true . This affiant was also
on the Campaign against the Chukamanga's and Kings Mountain. Sworn and
signed the 7 th day of April 1834 James Keys

----------
> From: liberty hill homes <>
> Subject: Re: [GAMEL-L] Re: [Gambill Rev War Letters
> Date: Monday, November 16, 1998 6:19 PM
>
> Yes, I would very much like to see the information, if he is my ancestor.
> Please, what dates? Was David Gamble old or young in 1776? Mine had a
> daughter Magdalene born 1746-1749. Mary
>
> At 09:57 pm 11/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >I have copies of original Rev. War letters that I'd like to share. I had
> >fun transcribing them let alone deciphering the script. I have letters
> >from David Gamble born Lancaster CO PA lived in KY and moved to
Illinois,
> >Martin Gamble from New Jersey and lived in NY. and then in Washington
DC.