From: "Karl Dagg" <>
Subject: Re: [GAMEL-L] Re: [Gamble and Rent Rolls 1704-1705 Virginia
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:34:09 -0500

Rent Rolls 1704-1705
Names that connect in early family History
Batt Cox Henrico Co. 1705
George 1705
JohnYork Co 1704
RichardPrincess Ann 1704
Rich(d)Henrico 1705
Wmhenrico Co1705
WmParish of St. Peter and St. Paul 1704
WmEssex Co. 1704

Davis Davenport King William Co. 1704
MartinKing William 1704
MestParish of St. Peter and St. Paul 1705

Thomas Gamble King and Queen 1704

Peter Lyon King and Queen Co. 1704

Edward Davenport Waltham Cross, Hertfort
LaborourBound to Samuel Gilham for 4 years in Virginia Aug 10, 1683

Adington Davenport Going to New England Nov. 15. 1690

Thomas Rice Parish of St. Peter and Paul
Michaell King and Queen

John Sparks K and Q

----------
> From: Karl Dagg <>
> Subject: Re: [GAMEL-L] Re: [Gambill Rev War Letters #2 about Martin
Gamble)
> Date: Monday, November 16, 1998 9:54 PM
>

> Hello Gamel Gamble List
> I got a chuckle out of this letter because this Mr. Dickson said he knew
> Martin Gamble was a Revolutionary War soldier and knew he was called
> Captian but didn't know for sure if he really was. I do the have proof
> that he really was a Captian and fought at Kings Mountain. So Enjoy #2
> State of North Carolina
> County of AsheI James Dickson Sn of said county of Ashe do hereby
> certify and swear that the said James Dickson Senior now 74 years old was
> acquainted with Martin Gamble who was a soldier of the Revolution and
was
> common called Capt. Gamble but whether or not he was a Captain this
affiant
> cannot say but this affiant can say that Gamble was called one of the
> leading men of the day on the American side.
> I also certify that Nancy Gambil whose name Nall before she married is
the
> widow of the said Martin Gambill and Nancy Gambill were called &
considered
> husband and wife as long as I can remember and they lived together as
such
> and raised a family of very respectable children who now live in Ashe and
> thereabouts.
> Given under my hand January 10th 1850 Subscribed by James Wagg JP
> James X Dickson
> my Mark
>
> State of North Carolina
> County of AsheI the subscriber and acting Justice of the peace of Ashe
> County hereby certify that James Dickson whose name is attached to the
> written affidavit is an old and respectable citizen of Ashe County and
that
> his statement is well entitled to credit.
> Given under my hand
> January 10th 1850
> James Wagg JP
>
> State of North Carolina
> County of Ashe On this 11 day of January 1850
> did personally appear before the subscriber an acting Justice of the
Peace
> for said county. Daniel Dixton a resident of said county and of late
being
> duly sworn according to the law. Deposited as follows that he is 78
years
> old, that he was present at the marriage between Martin Gambill and Nancy
> his wife and that said marriage took place according to his best
> recollection in the fall of the year 1777 in the former county of Wilkes
> now Ashe county and said Martin Gamble who was a Soldier of the
> Revolutionary War and was an officer in the army of the Revolution and
> commonly called Captain Gamble but whether or not he was a Captain this
> affiant cannot say but according to the best of my recollection he was
> first Lieutenant but affront can say that said Gambill was called one of
> the head leading men of the day on the American side. I can certify that
> Nancy Gambill who was Nall before she was married and is the widow of
> Martin Gamble deceased that she never has been married since the death of
> her first husband . I know that said Martin Gambill and wife Nancy were
> married before the Battle of Kings Mountain and got wounded in one arm in
> said Battle, I do not now recollect in which arm which disabled from
> agricultural pursuits very much.
> Sworn to and subscribed before me this day and year
> above written Daniel X Dickson
> William Poe JPhis mark
>

> Declaration
>
> In order to obtain the pension from the Act of Congress 7 July 1838
> State of North Carolina
> County of Ashe
>
> The 17th day of July 1851 personally appeared before this subscriber an
> acting Justice of the peace in and for the county of Ashe in the state of
> North Carolina Nancy Gambill a resident of the county of Ashe and state
> aforesaid aged 91 years old and being duly sworn according to the law
took
> her oath and made the following decoration in order to obtain the benefit
> of the provision made by the Act of Congress passed July 7th 1838
entitled
> on Act granting half pay and pension to certain widows and that she if
the
> widow of Martin Gambill decd. And whose lawful wife she was before 1794
who
> was in the service of the Revolutionary War as stated in my decoration
> before this proof of which you will refer to the papers on file in the
> pension office that this is to claim the benefit of the act above alluded
> to and swear to and subscribed before me this day and year above written

> Nancy Gambill
> Jas. Sturgill JP.
>
> State of North Carolina
> County of Ashe
>
> Be it known that I James Sturgill a Justice of the Peace in and for the
> County of Ashe in the state of North Carolina do hereby certify that
Nancy
> Gambill is a respectable member of the church and has long been under
stood
> as such in our neighborhood and I further certify that her statements
well
> worth and entitled to credit an her oath or otherwise given from under my
> hand and swear this 17th July AD 1851
> Jas. Sturgill JP
>
> El's notes On page nine Matthew Carson and AM Long swear for Nancy
> Gambill and Martin Gambill and then John Ray County clerk certifies that
> James Sturgill and Matthew Carson are acting magistrates for and in said
> county and that the signatures purporting to be theirs are genuine on the
> 21st day of July 1851 AD
>
> January 28th 1851
> State of North Carolina
>
> I William Mastin clerk of the count of Pleasant Quarter /////// for the
> county of Wilkes in state aforesaid do certify that I have made diligent
> search for a Bond of Marriage license between Martin Gamble and Nancy
Nall