GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 1999-06 > 0930431441
Subject: Boston Weekly Journal - Items Missed and Fires
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:10:41 -0400
Boston Weekly Journal, Thursday, Feb. 28, 1889
James D. BALFOUR, baker, 2255 Washington street, Boston, owes about
$2500. Joseph MIDDLEBY, Jr. has charge of matters for the creditors.
William L. McINTIRE, carpenter and builder, Reading, MA, owes about $5178
and has assets of $1000. The creditors are offered 15 cents on the
Charles B. GARDNER, contractor and fibre manufacturer, 12 Ashford street,
Boston, owes about $8650, of which $950 is secured. No unincumbered
Albert W. MERROW, dealer in butter, cheese, eggs, etc, 1361 Washington
street, Boston, has gone into insolvency. Liabilities, $2162. Assets
consist of a small stock and about $200 in notes and accounts.
The creditors of William S. WATERHOUSE, currier, 75 Purchase street,
Boston. jave accepted 15 cents on the dollar.
WHITTAKER & BLAIR, grocers, New Bedford, have assigned.
Z. LAWRENCE & SONS, grocers, Stamford, CT, have assigned to N. C. DOWNS.
C. E. CLARE, grocer, Newport, RI, has assigned to Patrick GALVIN.
Laurentio E. WALKER, dealer in cigars and tobacco, Pepperell, MA, has
gone into insolvency, with liabilities of $2335, and no assets.
Charles H. SPRAGUE, lawyer, 56 Bedford street, Boston, has been appointed
assignee in the case of Robert H. VIVIAN, tailor, 2A Park street.
Miss Kate GOUGH, milliner, Lawrence, MA, has gone into insolvency.
William L. McINTIRE, Reading, MA, is adjusting his affairs in insolvency.
J. W. ENRIGHT, tailor, St. Paul, MN, has assigned.
Santa Rosa, CA., Feb. 20. The town of Guerneville, with a population of
500, was almost entirely burned today. The fire was started from a
defective flue in a hotel and spread rapidly. Several buildings were
blown up in order to check the flames, but this was of no avail.
The Largest Flour Mill in Kansas Destroyed by Fire
Leavenworth, KS., Feb. 25. KELLEY & LYLE'S mill, the largest concern of
its kind in Kansas, caught fire at 2 o'clock this morning and burned to
the ground. The elevator, containing 200,000 bushels of wheat, is also
Hartford, CT., Feb. 24. Between 12 and 1 o'clock this morning an
explosion occurred in POMEROY's shooting gallery, Bristol, causing
serious damage. The building, which is a story and a half wooden one,
was set on fire by the explosion of the oil stove in the gallery, and
three kegs of powder stored in the building were soon reached by the
fire, causing another and more serious explosion, completely wrecking the
building. Mr. POMEROY, who was closing up his store at the time for the
night, barely escaped with his life.
New London, CT., Feb. 24. Shortly after 5 o'clock this morning a fire
was discovered in the property owned by Wm. HIGGINS and occupied by
HIGGIN's Carriage Shop, HOWARD's paint shop, John BISHOP's lumber yard,
L. A. COMSTOCK's coal yard, BURR's omnibus stable and the barns of
HIGGINS, HABRON and BISHOP; also Mr. HIGGIN's residence and a large
tenement house. Nine horses and six omnibuses belonging to BURR, three
of COMSTOCK's horses, all of the stable fixtures, the coal sheds and
lumber yard were burned. The tenement house was partly consumed, and the
eight families were compelled to move into the street.
Topeka, KS., Feb. 22. A fire broke out today in the five-story stone
block on Kansas avenue owned by Wilson KEITH and occupied by the George
W. CRANE Publishing Co.
Providence, RI. Feb. 22. Fire originating in an overheated bearing broke
out just before 6 o'clock in the mule room of the Crefeld Mills, on the
third floor of the mill buildings, on the Connecticut side of the
Pawcatuck River, in Westerly. One lad was injured by jumping from a
Skowhegan, ME., Feb.24. A fire was discovered at 7 o'clock this morning
in Carrabasset Block, North Anson, a brick block owned by Mrs. Joel GRAY
of Solon, and occupied by J. C. FULLER, dry and fancy goods, Ed. COLLINS,
dry goods, J. J. PARTINS, law office and A. HALL.
Calais, ME., Feb. 23. The double tenement house owned by J. M. HILL, and
occupied by John SIMPSON and Charles PROCTOR, was burned this morning,
the inmates barely escaping with their lives, SIMPSTON losing everything.
The wind was blowing a gale, with the thermometer at zero. Only prompt
service by the firemen saved a large amount of the surrounding property.
Westboro, MA., Feb. 23. The house and two barns of John DOLAN were
burned to the ground last night, together with 22 head of cattle, 24 tons
of hay, valuable farming tools and all household goods and furniture.
The buildings and contents were valued at $7000; insurance $4500. The
farm is situated about three miles out of the village, and the Westboro
Fire Department went to the scene. The fire caught from one of the
chimneys in the house.
Hamilton, MA., Feb. 20. Charles PORTER's residence and barn, together
with contents, were burned shortly after 3 o'clock this afternoon. The
cause of the fire is unknown, as the family were away from home, but it
is thought to have originated from an overheated chimney. The house was
two stories high with an L. and the barn about 20 by 25. The total loss
is about $2500; insurance unknown.
Chicago, IL., Feb. 24. A $45,000 fire was caused by an explosion of
turpentine this morning in the three-story and basement brick building 63
and 65 Canal street. One-third of the loss is on the building, which was
owned by S. B. RICHARDS. The remainder is divided among half a dozen
manufacturing firms, and all are well insured.
New Orlean, Feb. 24. Fire broke out this morning in RODER & WARNER's
Southern rice mills and the New Orleans veneering saw mill adjoining,
which were burned. The New Orleans coffin factory was damaged by fire
Springfield, MA., Feb. 22. NOBLE & COOLEY's drum factory at Granville
was burned at 6 o'clock last night, causing a loss of $20,000; partially
covered by insurance. The firm employs 100 hands, who are thrown out of
employment temporarily at least. The firm was prosperous and will
probably rebuild. The factory was the chief industry of the village.
Woonsocket, RI., Feb. 27. The Whitin Machine Company's barn at
Whitinsville, MA, was burned this morning. The fire was discovered at
2:30 and spread rapidly, baffling all attempts to save any of the
contents, including 21 horses and two yoke of oxen. The watchman, who
slept in the barn, was saved with great difficulty. Loss $20,000. Origin
Bridgton, ME., Feb. 27. The house of Prof. John S. MOODY of North
Bridgton, Principal of the Auburn High School and late Principal of
Bridgton Academy, was burned last night. The fire caught from the
chimney. Most of the contents were saved. The property is insured for
MILNE, CHALMERS & CO's engine house at Quincy, with contents, was
destroyed by fire early Friday morning. Loss $1100.
Plymouth, NH., Feb. 20. The farm buildings of J. B.HUCKINS were burned
at 11 o'clock this morning. Loss $1500; insurance $300... cause unknown.
Winthrop, ME., Feb. 20. The buildings of the Monmouth Dairying
Association were burned last night. Cause unknown. Loss $2000; insured
Janesville, WI., Feb. 20. The Myers Opera House, the handsomest theatre
in the State outside of Milwaukee, was burned this afternoon. Loss
$60,000; insurance only $5000.
Fort Fairfield, ME., Feb. 26. H. C. TOWNSEND's barn, containing hay,
grain and farming tools, was burned this morning. Cause, the upsetting
of a lantern; insured.
Boston Weekly Journal, Thursday, Mar. 14, 1889
Columbus, OH., Mar. 10. Fire in High street business blocks did damage
this morning as follows: WILL & TRACY, wholesale notions, lost about
$40,000 on stock, insurance $25,000; LIVINGSTON's seed store was damaged
$20,000; insured $8000; I. JOSHENOSKY, dry goods, will lose $10,000;
insurance not given. The principal loss on buildings in on a block owned
by Wm. MOEYPENNY, $20,000, with an insurance of $15,000.
Keene, NH., Mar. 11. The wooden portion of CLARKE's Block caught fire
this morning from spontaneous combustion in John CARPENTER'S harness shop
and was badly damaged. The losses are: On building, $1000; Oliver P.
MURDOCK, confectioner, $500; John CARPENTER, harness, $500; Charles W.
WILBUR, market, $300; M. J. AUGER, billiard-room, $200. All covered by
insurance except AUGER.
Syracuse, NY., Mar. 12. Fire last night gutted the wholesale grocery
store of Gates THALHEIMER in East Water street. The building is owned by
More to follow.