GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 1999-10 > 0940997749
From: "George Waller" <>
Subject: [GM-L] From the moderator: commercials
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:15:49 -0400
The subject of commercialism on this list has arisen several times in the past
few weeks. This isn't an easy topic to deal with. Sometimes commercialism
here benefits us all... and sometimes it doesn't. And, I suspect none of us
wish to have this list inundated with advertisements.
So, as moderator, it is my unpleasant duty to figure this out.
The simplest thing would be to have a "no tolerance" policy. But,
I'd rather not start out that way.
Here's a proposal, please respond to me privately with your comments.
What's allowed... (relating to MA genealogy/history):
* mentions of newly published materials with price/availability
* discreet (short) signatures with mention of services
* occasional mentions of historical/genealogical societies with membership dues
What's not allowed
* non MA references
* sale of unique items
* offers to perform genealogical services for a fee in the text of a message
* mentions of actual $$ for performing services
Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer and do not intend to make the above
a debating contest. Please be conservative about what you post.
Also, please consider putting advertisements on the Rootsweb Classified ad
|[GM-L] From the moderator: commercials by "George Waller" <>|