GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2000-12 > 0976644349
Subject: [GM-L] Bolton, MA History by the Bolton Historical Commission (Lancaster Surnames)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:05:49 EST
After King Philip's War, English settlers slowly returned to Lancaster.
Supposedly in the belief that a dispersed settlement would fare better in
Indian attack than a clustered village, a few hardy second- and
third-generation farmers and their families established homesteads on their
outlying lands in Bolton, especially along the east side of the Wataquadoc
range and in the northeast part of town. Josiah Whetcomb, for instance, who
with his family owned all the northeast quadrant of modern-day Bolton, built
his house at the intersection of today's Sugar and Golden Run Roads in
1680-81, where the first child whose birth is recorded in the Bolton
territory, his son, Hezekiah, was born in 1681. (See Form #935). Other
late-seventeenth-century families who settled here include Beamans, Moors,
Snows, Wests, Wilders, and Wilsons.