GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2001-11 > 1005765000
Subject: [GM-L] Yep...Green Mtn Boys brought Ti cannon to Cambridge!
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:10:00 EST
Green Mountain Boys
On August 16, 1777 the "Green Mountain Boys" fought under General Stark at
the Battle of Bennington. It's green field represented their name and the
thirteen white stars a tribute to the thirteen colonies. A notable victory of
the Green Mountain Boys under Ethan Allen, occurred on the morning of May 10,
1775, when they silently invaded the British held Fort Ticonderoga and
demanded its surrender "In the name of the great Jehovah and the Continental
Congress". The captured cannon and mortars were transported across the snow
covered mountains of New England and their installation on the heights over
Boston Harbor enabled Washington to force the British to leave that important
Ticonderoga, New York
Built high on a bluff by the French in 1755, Fort Ticonderoga was captured
by the British four years later. Then, a few weeks after the American
Revolution began in 1775, Ethan Allen and Vermont's Green Mountain Boys
seized it for the Continental Army.
With the help of eighty-one yoke of oxen, the Green Mountain Boys moved
the cannons and ammunition to Cambridge, Massachusetts. George Washington
used the weapons captured at Fort Ticonderoga to keep the British from taking
Boston. Later that year, when Americans mounted an unsuccessful attack on
Quebec, the British recaptured the fort and kept it until September 3, 1783.
On that date, Fort Ticonderoga was returned to the Americans through the
signing of the Treaty of Paris, in Versailles.