GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2002-03 > 1016755603
Subject: [GM-L] Dalgliesh, No. Cambridge, MA birth 1904 in Canada and other MA folks
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:06:43 EST
06-10-1904 The wife of Alexander S. Dalgliesh, at 100 Avon Hill Street, North
Cambridge MA, a son.
Death: 07-07-1904 Mary J. Wood, wife of James S. Moffatt, died at South
Hadley Falls, MA, age 59 years.
Death: 08-28-1904 Sarah Lanktree, Widow of the late John Carr, of Trout River
PQ, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Joseph Green, Worcester MA,
age 80 years 07 months 01 day.
Marriage: 09-05-1904 H. McCabe, of Lowell MA, married Emma Jane Pollica,
daughter of Lewis Pollica, of Herdman PQ. At Lowell MA.
(Of interest) Quote from October 27, 1904 Canadian Gleaner, includes a
picture of the new Munro Hall constructed at Athelstan PQ, architect for the
project was, D.A. McDonald, contractor for the Hall was, John Elder Jr.. It's
existence is due to filial piety. Mrs. Enoch Foster of Tewksbury,
Massachusetts, at one time miss Hattie Munro, desirious of doing honor to her
parents, donated 1.500.00 dollars towards the erection of a building that
would conduce to the moral, intellectual, and spiritual benefit of her native
place, especially of the young. And when her offer was accepted and the
building begun, she expressed her hope that it would be a great blessing to
Athelstan and the surrounding country. Mrs. Foster's father, Allan Munro, was
among the first settlers in the County, he having taken up his abode close to
this site of the present village in 1824. So that the building she has
erected perpetuates a name that must always be associated with Athelstan. Of
course 1.500.00 dollars would not pay for a building of adequate size, and a
subscription list was passed around, by which 300.00 dollars were realized. A
difficulty arose as to whom the property should be vested in. The trouble
arising out of the sale of the sons of temperaments Hall was fresh in the
minds of the people of Athelstan and the necessity of its being held by some
incorporated body was realized. This was got over by an arrangement with the
trustees of the Presbyterian Church, who agreed to hold the proposed building
in trust for the purpose laid down by Mrs. Foster, leaving its management and
control to the W. C. T. U. of the village. The trustees also gave this site,
which is part of the lot occupied by the old Church and graveyard, Dr. Rowat,
William Wilson, and D.A. McDonald, were asked by the W. C. T. U., to see
about the building of the Hall. Mr. McDonald prepared the plans and the
contract was let a year ago to John Elder Jr., the building as it stands
today cost 2.433.00 dollars, and there remains a good deal to be done both
outside and in. The grounds are ungraded, and to make them attractive the
ruinous old Church must be removed, and the graveyard leveled. Were this done
and trees and shrubs planted, the village would have a spot of beauty, a
little park that would become a favorite resort in summer. Inside, ladies
could advantageously spend a couple of hundred dollars in furnishing the
rooms so as to make them sightly and home like. If the building is ever
completed as it ought to be, the outlay will be increased to 3.000.00
dollars. The Hall is the full-sized of the building, 30 feet by 50 feet, and
the ceiling rises to 15 feet. The Hall is designed to seat 250. While Mr.
Elder did all the structural work himself, he employed George Reid for the
Masonery, and L. D. Watson, directed the finishing, proving himself and A 1
Carpenter. The painting and the finishing of the natural wood was done by
James D. Bicknell. The furnace, which heat the entire building, is placed in
the dining room. It was fitted by S. McClatchie, of Hemmingford.
10-19-1904 George A McCoy, formerly of Chateaugay New York, married Bessie
Jamison, of Portsmouth NH. In Manchester NH, by Rev. C.A. Farnsworth. < one
of mine <
Death:11-13-1904 J. William Baxindale, died at Brockton Massachusetts, age 48
years 04 months.