GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2002-04 > 1019499399
Subject: [GM-L] Ingalls family of Lynn, Massachusetts ~ History of Lynn
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:16:39 EDT
Source: History of Lynn, Mass. by Alonzo Lewis & James R. Newhall. Boston
The first white men known to have been inhabitants of Lynn were Edmund
Ingalls and his
brother Francis Ingalls. A record preserved in the family of Edmund Ingalls
Edmund Ingalls came from Lincolnshire, in England to Lynn in 1629."
He was a farmer and settled in the eastern part of the town near a small pond
Street. The place where his house stood is still pointed out by his
descendants. He had
a malt house near the margin of the pond. When the lands were divided in
1638 there were
apportioned "to Edmund and Francis Ingalls, upland and meadow, 120 acres."
He was accidentally drowned in March, 1648, by falling with his horse through
Saugus River bridge on Boston Street; for which the General Court paid one
($444) to his children. His estate was valued at £135. 8s. 10d., including
The name of his wife was Ann and he had nine children, six of whom were born
1. Robert who inherited his father's "house and houselot.", 2. Elizabeth. 3.
married Andrew Allen. 4. John to whom his father gave "the house and ground
that was Jeremy
ffits (Fitch) lying by the meeting-house and that three acres land he hath in
5. Sarah who married William Bitner. 6. Henry, who was born in 1627 and
removed to Andover,
where he died in 1719 aged 92 years. A descendant of his, Capt. Henry
Ingalls died in 1803
aged 84 years. About a year before his death he added the following note to
the family gen-
ealogy: "Mr. Henry Ingals from whom all these spring, was born in the year
1627, and he died
in the year 1719, who lived ninety-two years. Two months after his death I,
Henry Ingals was
born who have lived eighty three years, so that we two Henry Ingals hath
lived on this Earth
one hundred and seventy-five years." 7. Samuel. 8. Mary. 9. Joseph.
The descendants of Mr. Edmund Ingalls in this and other towns, are numerous
and several of them eminent in the learned professions. (One or two
appear in the petition of the children of Mr. Ingalls for redress on the loss
father. The paper reads as follows: "The humble petition of Robert Ingalls
with the rest of
his brethren and sisters, being eight in number, humbly sheweth that whereas
your poor peti-
tioners father hath been deprived of life by the insufficiency of Lynne
Bridge, so called,
to the great impoverishinge of your poore petitioners mother and themselves,
and there be-
ing a Court order that any person soe dyinge through such insufficiency of
any bridge in the
countrye that there shold be an hundred pounds forfeit to the next heire, may
please this honorable Court to take your poore petitioners case into
Francis INGALLS, brother of Edmund, was born in Englandin 1601. He was a
tanner, and lived
at Swampscot. He built a tannery on Humfrey's brook, where it is crossed by
a stone bridge
in Burrill Street. I saw the vats before they were taken up in 1825. This
was the first
tannery in New England. And perhaps its establishment gave the first
direction to the great
business of the place - shoemaking. When the leather was made, it was
natural enough to
turn attention to means for directly applying it to the common necessities of
Lands given to the inhabitants of the town of Lynn, Anno Domini 1638.
Edmund and Francis Ingalls, upland and meadow, 120 acres.
Andrew Allen married Faith, a daughter of Edmund Ingalls. He removed to
Andover and there
died in 1690.
Mr. Humfrey appears to have owned nearly all the lands from Sagamore Hill to
Robert Ingalls bought nine acres of the farm at Swampscott for two hundred
and eighty pounds,
in 1681 from his daughter Ann.
In 1758, a company of soldiers from Lynn marched on Canada on the 23 of May.
and Samuel Mudge were killed.
In April 1786, Benjamin Ingalls, in throwing an anchor from a boat in the
harbor was drawn
overboard and drowned.
On the afternoon of Thursday, June 20, 1850 during a thunder shower, the
the clothing store of Roland G. Usher on Market Street. James W. Ingalls,
who was standing
in the doorway was knocked down. The lightning passed through his legs,
tearing one of his
boots and burning his person somewhat.
Interesting note for 1850 - The physicians of Lynn by mutual agreement,
seventy-five cents for each professional visit, June 15, 1850. The most
previous to that was 50 cents. It was a time of great prosperity and wages
in almost every
craft and profession took an upward course.
On the evening of May 26, 1857, the shoe manufactory of Albert B. Ingalls on
was burned with a considerable amount of stock.
1861 - Lynn in the Civil War
Two companies of Lynn's Light Infantry and Lynn City Guards formed a part of
Regiment of Massachusetts troops which became so celebrated in the early part
of the war
for discipline, promptness and heroism. These troops were called for three
The names of such of the regimental officers as belonged to Lynn are given:
Ephraim A. Ingalls, Quartermaster.
Privates - Company F - Lynn City Guards
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth