GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2003-01 > 1042498374
Subject: [GM-L] Possibility of a virus
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:52:54 EST
----- Original Message ----- From: <A HREF="mailto:">Northwoods Sporting Journal</A>
To: <A HREF="'mailto:">"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@usadatanet.net</A>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 12:45 PM
Subject: Possibility of a virus
A virus has been passed on to us by a contact. Our address book may have in
turn been infected. Since you are in our address book there is a chance that
you will find it in your computer too.
We followed the instructions below and eradicated the virus easily.
The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or MacAfee
anti-virus-system. This virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging
the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book,
whether or not you send emails to your contacts.
Here's how to check the virus and get rid of it:
1. Go to start, then go up to the find or search -option
2. In the file/folders option, type the name: jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C-drive and all the sub-folders and any other
drives you may have.(Click on the box to include su! bfolders.)
4. Click: "Find now"
5. The virus has a grey teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe.
DO NOT OPEN IT.
6. Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the
file without opening it.
7. Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select DELETE. It will then
go to the Recycle Bin.
8. Go to the recycle Bin and delete it there as well.
IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, you must contact all the people in your address
book, so they can eradicate it in their own address books.
To do this:
1. Open a new email message
2. Click the icon of the address book next to the "to"
3. Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
4. Copy this message, enter subject and paste to email, and send
Remember you have to do this very quickly.
Please note, we sometimes ignore such warnings but this time, because we have
Norton antivirus (refered to as unsuccessful against this virus) we did check
out the warning and did find the teddy bear!
Alice and Rizek
|[GM-L] Possibility of a virus by|