GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2005-11 > 1131200829
Subject: Roger Sherman, Signer of Dec. of Indep. m. desc. of John Prescott of Lancaster
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 09:27:09 EST
The Hon. Roger Sherman, signer of Dec. of Independence - his descendants
Source: Prescott Memorial by Dr. William Prescott 1870
John Prescott/Mary Platts Line (Founder of Lancaster, MA 1655)
Rebecca Prescott b. May 20, 1742 dau of Benjamin Prescott and his wife,
Rebecca Minot of Salem, MA.
Rebecca Prescott m. May 12, 1763 Hon. Roger Sherman signer of the Declaration
of Independence He b. at Newton, MA Apr 19, 1721. He was the son of William
Sherman of Newton, MA and the grandson of Joseph Sherman and the great
grandson of Capt. John Sherman who came from Dedham in England to Watertown
MA in 1634 or 1635. Roger Sherman m. (1) abt 1749 Elizabeth Hartwell of
Stoughton, MA by whom he had seven children. She d. Oct 1760 and he m. 2d
Rebecca Prescott. (see p. 89 for their children)
Hon. Roger Sherman and his wife, Rebecca Prescott had issue at New Haven, CT:
1. Rebecca Sherman b. Feb 22, 1764 m. July 29, 1787 Hon. Simeon Baldwin of
New Haven, CT son of Ebenezer Baldwin and wife, Bethia (Barker) Baldwin.
He b. 176l grad Yale 1781
2. Elizabeth Sherman b. Dec 31, 1765 m. (1) Sturgis Burr Esq. of NYC in l794
He d. young leaving one son. She m. (2) Hon Simeon Baldwin who had been
the husband of her sister, Rebecca.
3. Roger Sherman b. July 16, 1768 m. Sep 1801, Susannah Staples. They were
married by her father, Rev. John Staples of Canterbury, CT. She b. Aug
1778 d. Nov 22, 1855 age 68yrs. (eleven children) He grad Yale 1787.
New Haven, CT He d. Mar 5, 1856 age 88.
4. Mehitable Sherman b. Feb 20, 1772 d. Nov 7, 1772.
5. Mehitable Sherman 2d b. Jan 28, 1774 m. (1) March, 1793, Daniel Barnes
b. at the Island of St. Croix, West Indies. in 1772 where his father was
orig. from Denmark and sent his son Daniel to be educated. To complete
educ., he placed in at Yale College in l790 in the class of Rev.
former Pres. of Yale. He left Yale in l793 and married Mehitable. Res:
Haven, CT On a visit to St Croix he died of yellow fever Aug 3, l799
He left two children.
6. Oliver Sherman b. June 19, 1777 grad. Yale l795 d. in Havana 1820 unm.
7. Martha Sherman b. Sep 24, 1779 m. Jan 1805 Rev. Jeremiah Day L. L.
onetime Pres. of Yale College. She d. 1806. One son, Sherman Day
b. Feb l3, 1806. President Jeremiah Day d. Aug 22, 1867 age 94 yrs.
He was b. at Preston CT Aug 3, l773. grad Yale 1795.
8. Sarah Sherman b. Jan 11, 1783 m. Oct l3, 1812 Hon Samuel Hoar of
Concord, MA b. May l8, 1778 grad Harvard 1802 practiced law at Concord
MA Senator 1825 and 1832. He d. Nov 2, l856 age 78. He was the son of
Hon Samuel Hoar of Lexington who was the son of John Hoar of Lexington
and Littleton who was the son of Daniel Hoar of Concord, MA who was the
son of John Hoar of Scituate, MA the emigrant of 1660.
Roger Sherman and his wife, Susanna Staples of New Haven, CT had issue:
1. Oliver Sherman b. 1802 d. July 30, 1821
2. Susan Sherman b. 1804 d. 1805
3. Martha Sherman b. Feb l3, 1807 m. Jan 7, l830 Henry White of New Haven,
lawyer in New Haven and President of the New Haven Hist. Soc.
4. Susanna Sherman b. Jan 22, l809 d. Jan 18, 1821
5. John Staples Sherman b. 1811 m. 1848 Eliza Forest of NYC Res Tecumseh,
Michigan. One child, Eliza Sherman
6. Sophia Sherman b. Jan 20 l8l3 m. l838 Robert L. Taylor of NYC.
7. Frederick Roger Sherman b. Mar 3l l8l5 Res: NYC - a lawyer.
8. Edward Standish Sherman b. Jan 27, l8l8 m. l852 Catharine A. Townsend of
Boston Res: NYC
9. George Sherman b. Jan 27, l8l8 twin of Edward Standish Sherman m. l846
Mary Jane Milliken of St. Stevens, New Brunswick. Res: Boston, MA
10. Benjamin Prescott Sherman b. Dec 20, l820 m. Oct l2, 1846 Elizabeth
of NY He was a merchant in Brooklyn, NY.
11. Elizabeth Baldwin Sherman b. Oct 27, l823 m. l860 Thomas Thatcher. Res:
New Haven and a Professor at Yale College.
Daniel Barnes and his wife, Mehitable Sherman had issue
1. Mary Talen Barnes d. in infancy.
2. Daniel Barnes b. Mar ll, l797 m. Cornelia Van Cleve, dau of John Van
a native of NJ but lawyer at Philadelphia, and his wife, Elizabeth
Van Cleve. She b. l800. He was a successful merchant in NYC and
ia. Two of his sons pursued his busines in NYC.
Mehitable Sherman's 2d husband was Jeremiah Evarts, Esq and she had by him:
3. Mary Evarts b. l806 at New Haven m. l829 Rev. David Green of Stoneham, MA
b. Nov l5, l797 grad. Yale l82l and the Andover Theological Inst. l826.
Westborough, MA She d. there l850 leaving 12 children.
4. Martha Sherman Evarts b. l809 m. l832 Rev. E. C. Tracy editor of the
Recorder. Grad. Dartmouth l8l9 and grad. Andover Theo. Inst. l824 He
lst proprietor and editor of the Vermont Chronicle pub. at Windsor l834.
died there May 5, l862.
5. John Jay Evarts b. at Boston l8l2 grad Yale l832 d. l833
6. Sarah Evarts b. Boston d in infancy.
7. William Maxwell Evarts b. at Boston l8l8 fitted for college at the Boston
School grad Yale l837 and attended Harvard Law School. Admitted to the
Bar l84l. He m. l843 at Windsor VT Helen M. Wardner dau of Allen Wardner
Esq. In 1868 he rec'd the apptmt of Attny General of the U.S. and in
the degree of Doctor of Laws from Union College and in l865 from Yale
Hon. Samuel Hoar LL.D of Concord, MA and wife, Sarah Sherman had issue:
l. Elizabeth Hoar b. l8l4 unm.
2.Ebenezer Rockwood Hoar b. l8l6 m. l840 at Concord, MA Caroline Downs
Brooks, dau of Nathan Brooks and wife Caroline (Downs) Brooks b. l820
3. Sarah Sherman Hoar b. l8l7 m. l837 Robert B. Storer of Boston (4 children)
William Brandt Storer b. l838; Sarah F. Storer; Elizabeth Hoar Storer; and
Margaret Woodbury Storer twin of Elizabeth b. July 4, l845.
4. Samuel Johnson Hoar b. l820 d. l82l
5. Edward Sherman Hoar b. l823 grad Harvard l844 Res: NYC; San Francisco;
and Santa Barbara returned to MA and m. Elizabeth H. Pritchard of Concord
MA Res: Lincoln, MA One child, Florence Hoar b.l860.
6. George Frisbie Hoar b. l826 grad Harvard l846 m. (1) Mary Louisa Spurr of
Worcester MA One child Alice Miller Spurr b. l863.
Edward S. Sherman and his wife Catharine A. Townsend had ten children listed
George Sherman and his wife Mary J. Milliken of Boston had 9 children listed
Benjamin Sherman and wife, Elizabeth Stevens of Brooklyn NY had two children
listed this page.
Thomas A. Thatcher and his wife Elizabeth Sherman of New Haven, CT had:
l. Sherman Day Thatcher b. Nov 6, l86l
2. William Larned Thatcher b. Oct 9, l866.
James Prescott Line, Hampton, N. H. l600s
Brackett Leavitt Prescott b. Mar 20, l797 son of Jonathan Prescott and wife,
Lydia Tuck of Kensington and Gilmanton ME m. Betsy H. Sherman dau of
Dr. Anthony Sherman. She b. at Gilmanton l808 Res: to Loudon thence to
Middlesex VT in l84l thence abt l850 to Ellenburg, Clinton County, NY.
Henry F. Eastham b. l8ll son of Henry L. Eastham and his wife, Mittee
Henry F. Eastham m. Maria L. Sherman dau of John and Charlotte Sherman of
New Bedford, MA. He was a master mariner. Res: California.
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth