GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2006-05 > 1148247963
Subject: First Settlers of Rowley, Mass. by T. Gage, 1840 - Part 2 - House lots
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 17:46:03 EDT
Subject: First Settlers of Rowley, Mass.
Source: The History of Rowley by Thomas Gage - Boston, 1840.
House Lots Laid out.
Nicholas Jackson, a house lot on the easterly side of Holmes Street, one
of one acre and a half, lying on the southerly side of Mr. John Miller's
John Pearson, one of one acre and a half, lying on the southerly side
of Richard Leighton's lot.
Edward Sawer, one of one acre and a half, lying on the south side of
James Bailey's lot.
James Bailey, one of one acre and a half, lying on the north side of
Edward Sawer's lot.
Richard Holmes, a lot of one acre, joining the southerly side of
Edward Sawer's lot.
The three last lots are supposed to have been on the easterly side of
the street where Dr. B. Proctor now lives.
Thomas Burkby, a lot of one acre and a half on the south side of
Samuel Bellingham's lot.
John Tillison, a lot of one acre and a half on the south side of
Thomas Burkby's lot.
Samuel Bellingham, a lot on the north side of Thomas Burkby's lot.
Thomas Sawer, one house lot of one acre and a half, bounded southerly
by John Newmarch's house lot, easterly by the street.
Daniel Harris, one house lot of one acre, bounded easterly by William
William Law, one house lot of _____, bounded westerly by Daniel Harris's
John Hill, one house lot of one acre and a half, bounded northerly by
John Tillison's lot.
The first entry upon the records of the General Court, which has any
reference to Mr. Roger's plantation, is
p.134 History of Rowley.
found, volume I., p. 205, under date of the 13th of March preceding
the incorporation, in the words following: "Plum Island is to re-
main in the Court's power; only for the present, Ipswich, Newbury,
and the new plantation between them, may make use of it, 'till the
Court shall see cause otherwise to dispose of it."
The next thing is the incorporation act, as before stated. Under date
of the 13th day of the 3d month (May) 1640, the Court "Ordered that
Rowley be granted two years' immunity from public charges, in regard
of their great loss and charge by purchasing of land and hindreance
of planting the last year."
Under the same date, "It is declared that Rowley bounds is to be
eight miles from their meeting-house in a straight line; and then
a cross line diameter from Ipswich Ryver to Merrimack Ryver, where
it doth not prejudice any former grant."
Under date of the 7th day, 8th month (October) 1640 it is ordered
that the neck of and on Merrimack, near Corchitawick, be added to
Rowley. The line to run from the outermost part of that neck to
Ipswich River by the end of their eight mile line to be run from
their meeting-house parallel with Ipswich line, provided that all
former grants upon the side of Ipswich River shall be excepted out
of this grant, particularly reserving John Endicot's grant on said
Ipswich River. Rowley agreed to the above."
To be continued - Part 3 - p. 145 - Other Settlers
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth
God Bless America
History and Genealogy Freely Shared
|First Settlers of Rowley, Mass. by T. Gage, 1840 - Part 2 - House lots by|