GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2006-07 > 1153854948
Subject: Col. Samuel Pepperell Shattuck of Pepperell, Mass.
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:15:48 EDT
Colonel Samuel Pepperell Shattuck, Pepperell, Mass.
Source: Biographical Review
Life Sketches of Leading Citizens of Middlesex
County, Massachusetts 1898 Biographical Review
Publishing Company - Boston
"Who among men art thou, and thy years how many, good
friend? - Xenophanes.
Colonel Samuel P. Shattuck took an important part in the
early development of Pepperell and was born in this town
June 25, 1813 son of Calvin Shattuck and his wife, Phoebe
(Wright) Emerson Shattuck who was the widow of Joseph
Emerson. Calvin Shattuck was a farmer, and resided at a
place about one mile from the Pepperell Centre.
Joseph Emerson was the son of the Rev. Joseph Emerson
the first settled minister at Pepperell. Rev. Emerson
preached in Pepperell for twenty-nine years and was the
lst minister to officiate as chaplain of the continental
army. On the historical occasion of Washington's accept-
ance of the command of the army, the Rev. Joseph Emerson
by the request of the general, offered the first prayer
for the success of the cause. On that day he contracted
a severe cold, from the effects of which he died October
29, 1775. He was indefatigable in labouring for his
people during his brief stay in camp. Some of his
sermons are now in the possession of the family of
Colonel Shattuck, including one that was preached to a
company of soldiers just before their departure for the
French and Indian War.
Colonel Samuel P. Shattuck was christened Samuel Parker
Prescott. However, as there were several of the latter
name in Pepperell, when he was a young man he had it
legally changed to Samuel Pepperell Shattuck, choosing
the name of the Colonial soldier (Sir William Pepperell)
for whom the town was named. General (Sir William)
Pepperell presented the town with a bell. When it arrived
in Boston, it was seized by the British, and, it is
stated, run into bullets which were returned to the
colonists in a far different manner than was originally
intended by the donor.
At the age of fifteen, young Shattuck bought his time of
his father, agreeing to pay him one hundred dollars, and
he later fulfilled his promise. He learned the carpent-
ers trade with Stephen Miller, following it as a journey-
man for about three years. In 1835 he joined a company
consisting of his half-brother, and Daniel E. Lawrence,
Isaac Stiles and Enoch Woods, all of whom were mechanics
and single men. This firm, which was organized as the
Lewisville Mechanics Company, purchased the site of the
present railroad village at a cost of six thousand doll-
ars, paying in one hundred dollars each, and giving notes
for the balance. At that time there were only eight
houses in that village. They also bought the water-power
privilege, constructed a new dam and erected a forge.
Later they built a paper-mill and placed it in charge
of And Emerson who was a paper-maker by trade.
They also established supply stores, and erelong quite
a flourishing village sprung into existence. After
manufacturing paper at a profit for some years, they sold
out advantageously to another company. At the time of
selling, Colonel Shattuck owned a great deal of mill
property; and his taxes then amounted to one hundred
and forty-six dollars, for which he had a receipt signed
by Deacon Henry Jewett. This enterprise was productive
of excellent results in more ways than one. Colonel
Shattuck was the only survivor of the venturesome mech-
anics who conceived and put the scheme into operation.
Afterward, in company with And Emerson, he engaged in the
paper stock business of Boston; and for ten years he
travelled over the State buying stock, while his partner
had charge of the disposal. He finally engaged in
agricultural pursuits in Pepperell and occupied his
residence there for thirty seven years.
The Colonel was a young man when he enlisted in the State
militia, in which he took an active interest for many
years. He was commissioned Major in 1840, Lieutenant
Colonel in 1842 and Colonel in 1845. He commanded the
6th Regiment until 1860, when he was succeeded by Col.
Samuel F. Jones who was with it at the time of the
memorable march through Baltimore.
He was a member of the legislature in 1861 and his vote
and influence were given to the support of the Union's
cause. For many years he was conspicuous in public
affairs, having served as a Selectman and Overseer of
the Poor; and he acted as justice of the peace for eight
On May 9, 1844, he was united in marriage with Mary
Lucinda Shattuck (not a relative). Mrs. Shattuck
had four daughters, namely: Mary Lucinda Parker Shattuck
who was a teacher who married Augustus Phelps in 1897;
Harrietta Ann Shattuck who in 1889 still resided at home.
Elizabeth Pepperell Shattuck married L. Adelburt Boynton
of this town and had two children: Winifred Shattuck Boynton
and Mary Adele Boynton; also Carrie Gay Boynton who died
at age seventeen.
Colonel Shattuck joined the Congregational Church when
seventeen years old and was the oldest member of the
society in 1898. Mrs. Shattuck was also a prominent
worker in the church.
Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth