GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2007-05 > 1179451045
Subject: [GENMASSACHUSETTS] Epitaphs from the Cemetary of Worcester CommonPart 8.
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:17:25 EDT
Epitaphs from the Cemetary of Worcester Common
by W. S. Barton - Printed by Henry J. Howland,
171 Main Street.
209. Capt. John Tanner, formerly of Newport, R.I.; d. Jan. 10, 1784; a. 44.
"How good, how valued once, avails thee not,
To whom related or by whom begot,
A heap of dust alone remains of thee,
Tis all thou art, and all the proud shall be." (Epitaph.)
210. Capt. Samuel Mower ; d. Jan. 24, 1784; a. 64.
"Return my friends,
Dry up your tears,
You will see me again
When Christ appears." (Epitaph.)
211. Coronet Daniel Hubbard ; d. Ap. 28, 1784; a. 20.
212. Mary Sterne, w. of Capt. Thomas Sterne. (No. 140) ; d. July 19; 1784,
aged 77. [See note in No. 140, ante, and Appendix.]
213. See ante pp. 19.
214. Hannah Mower, wife.
of Mr. John, alias Lieut. John Mower; d. Sept. 24 1784; a. 59.
"Farewell my friends,
and cease to mourn,
You will see me again
At Christ's return." (Epitaph.)
215. Loring Sprague, son of Joseph and Mary Sprague; died, Oct 9, 1784 a. 13
"by fall from a horse,"
216. Elizabeth Jenison, w. of Wm. Jenison; d. Nov. 21, 1784; a. 21.
"Mortals be dumb
what creatures dares
Dispute his awful Will?
Ask no account of his affairs,
But tremble and be still." (Epitaph.)
217. Elizabeth Prentice Chamberlain, dr. of John and Mary
C.; d. Feb. 4, [17 by T. R.] 1785; age 10 y. 3m.
218. Lieut. Samuel Brown ; d. May 25, 1785; a. 42.
His epitaph is
"Death steady to his purpose, from ye womb,
Pursues us till we are drawn to the tomb;
O-reader-wisely lay this thought to heart
And seek an interest in the better part,
Then when you close in death your mortal eyes
Your soul may rise and reign above the skies."
[Lieut. Brown was formerly an innholder in Worcester.]
219. John Goddard ; d. June 26, 1785, a. 87.
"Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord,
That they may rest from their labors,
And their works do follow." (Epitaph.)
220. Sarah Tanner, w. of James Tanner (No. 200) ; d. Sept. 19, 1785. a. 73.
221. Eunice Flagg, w. of Josiah Flagg. ; d. Dec. 26, 1785 a. 28.
To be continued Part 9.
Edited by Janice Farnsworth
************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.