GenMassachusetts-L ArchivesArchiver > GenMassachusetts > 2007-05 > 1179452174
Subject: [GENMASSACHUSETTS] Epitaphs from the Cemetery of Worcester CommonPart 9.
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:36:14 EDT
Epitaphs from the Cemetery of Worcester Common
by W. S. Barton - Printed by Henry J. Howland,
171 Main Street.
222. John Gates, s. of Simon and Sarah Gates ; d. May 20, 1786.
"Not praises of man but of God
Yealds comfort on a dying bed." (Epitaph.)
223. William Elder ; d. July 27 1786; a. 79.
He was one of the " 52 Protesters," who in the year
1774 entered on our town records their Royalist
declaration and protest against the then revolutionary
proceedings in this place. The town afterwards voted,
that the signers of that protest be deemed
"unworthy of holding any town office or honor" until
satisfaction made, and that their recorded protest
he entirely obliterated. Satisfaction was accordingly
made by most of the Protesters, and the record - as
may be seen at the Clerk's office-was made completely
224. Molley Brown, w. of John B. and dr. of Jonas Goulding; d. Feb. 13,
1787; a. 20.
"Life is short but Death is sure,
Sin is the wound & Christ is the cure
Of fallen man-Salvation sure." (Epitaph.)
225. Elizabeth Chamberlain, dr. of John and Mary Chamberlain. ; d. Mar. 19,
a. 17 m. 3 w.
226. Sarah Trowbridge, w. of Wm. Trowbridge.; d. July 15, 1787; a. 31;
[Epitaph similar to the one in No. 26.]
227. Mary Lovell, dr. Jona. and Mary Lovell; d. Sept. 8, 1787 ; a. 13.
228. Damaris Stevens, w. of Lieut. Cyprian Stevens. ; d. Sept. 28, 1787 ; a.
229. Isaac Barnard, Esq.; d. Mar. 18, 1788; a. 86.
"Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord
from henceforth, yea-saith the Spirit-
that they may rest from their labors, and
their works do follow them.- Rev. xiv. 13." (Epitaph.)
230. Sibbel Moore, dr. John and Esther Moore. ; d. July 4, 1788; a. 22.
231. Rebekah Moore, w. of James Al.; d. July 19, 1788, a. 39.
note from transcriber
240. Sarah Barber, w. of Robert B. (ante No. 130) ; d. June 9, 1788; a. 86.
241. Peter Goulding ; b. Dec. 30, 1736 ; d. July 14, 1790; a. 54.
The epitaph is:
"Friends & Physician could not save
My mortal body from the grave,
Nor can the grave confine me here
When Christ shall call me to appear."
["His death was occasioned by a fall from the frame of
a house." - Mass. Spy, July 22.]
242. Elizabeth Goddard, dr. of Samuel and Abigail Goddard.; d. Sep. 21,
1790; a. 20.
To be continued Part 10.
Edited by Janice Farnsworth
************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.