INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 2006-10 > 1160251517

From: "Bob McIntosh" <>
Subject: [INDIA] British Cemetery, Kabul
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 21:05:17 +0100

Hi

I work in Kabul off and on - and when I'm there I live close to the British
Cemetery or Sherpur Cantonment Cemetery as it is also known. To while away
time on rare days off I can stroll to the cemetery. In the last couple of
visits I've made a provisional inventory of the names of the headstones and
the memorials and put them up on my website along with images. If anyone is
interested visit www.scotfot.com.

On future visits I hope to piece together some of the broken headstones and
transcribe the names on the headstone for British ranks who died in the
Cantonment during the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War as well as try and track down an
almost mythical definitive list of all those interred that I've heard about.

The cemetery has a number of stones for the officers, NCO's and men who died
during the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War including Captain John Cook V.C. Bengal
Staff Corps and 5th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army. Most of those interred are
Europeans up to the 1970's and there are a number of recent memorials to the
ISAF troops who have died in Afghanistan.

If anyone needs a higher res image or different photography of any of the
headstones, I'll see what I can when I go back out in November - security
permitting!

Bob

This thread: