INDIA-L Archives

Archiver > INDIA > 2008-04 > 1208368688

From: "Nick Balmer" <>
Subject: Re: [INDIA] Sir Charles Alfred Barber circa 1905
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:58:08 +0100

Hello Angus,

I thought a nice reflection on the memory of the man, that a hundred years
later his life and work is not entirely forgotten, and has had some lasting
benefit. I have established that Barber was born at Wynberg in South Africa
in 1860, and that he was the son of William Barber, and Edith Leather,
daughter of the Rev. G. R> Osborne.

He went to Cambridge University before going out to Madras as the Government
Botanist.

He is listed as a Sugar Cane expert. He died on February 23rd, 1933. He
seems to have published several books on grasses and other horticultural
subjects.

Regards

Nick Balmer

This thread: