NYSTLAWR-L ArchivesArchiver > NYSTLAWR > 2002-05 > 1021595712
Subject: [NYSTLAWR] Re: Santo/Santaus/Santus...anyone help?
Date: 16 May 2002 18:35:12 -0600
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
I found the following in the 1880 census for Ogdensburg on page 159:
1) Charles Santos, age 38, born Canada, parents born Canada, no occupation listed
2) Louisa, wife, age 45, born NY, parents born canada
3) Louisa, dau, age 7, born NY, parents born Canada
4) Angeline, dau, age 5, born NY, parents born Canada
5) Bertha, dau, age 11 mos, born NY, parents born Canada
Two listings away is:
1) Antione Santos, age 73, born Canada, parents born Canada, laborer
2) Louisa, wife, age 56, born Canada, parents born Canad
3) Louisa Obey, age 19, step-daughter, single, born Canada, parents born Canada
4) Louisa Obey, age 6 months, granddaughter, born NY, parents born Canada
Assuming these are the right people and ANtione is the father of Charles, it does not appear that Louisa would be his mother. Instead, she would appear to be his step-mother since she apparently brought a 19 year old daughter in to the marriage.
In 1860, a search for Antione found the following, but the age looks wrong:
Oswegatchie, village of heuvelton (so its the right place):
1) Antione Santaus, age 75, Farm Labor, $100 personal property, born Canada, can't read or write
2) Catharine, age 60, born Canada, can't read or write
3) Catharine, age 22, born NY, can't read or write
4) John, age 19, born NY
5) Fanny, age 12, born NY, attended school
6) Edward, age 10, born NY
7) Henry, age 8, born NY
8) Lewis, age 7, born NY
9) Francis LeBuff, age 87, domestic, born Canada
Hope this might help some. I could not find them in 1850 or 1870.