OWENS-L ArchivesArchiver > OWENS > 2003-10 > 1065368238
From: "Shelley Cardiel" <>
Subject: [OWENS] Photograph Album including OWENS Family
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 08:51:03 -0700
I've "rescued" an old photograph album which appears to have belonged to the
EWING Family of Cape May City, New Jersey. The album is full of photographs
including many which are identified, including:
1. Emma STRATTON EWING "Grandmother" taken at the Chester Studio in Cape
May City, NJ, probably in the 1890's with Emma appearing to be in her 50's
at the time. Based on limited research I believe this may be Emma EWING b.
1844 on Cape Island, NJ, daughter of George STRATTON and Abigail F. LUDLAM.
The STRATTON's had 5 children including Bernard, Emma B., Isadora, Sallie,
and Charles T. STRATTON all born on Cape Island, NJ. Emma was the wife of
James EWING and Mother of George S., Mira, Ella, and Leaming EWING. Emma
and her family were included in the 1880 census while living in Lower, NJ.
The entire family was listed as having been born in NJ. Emma and James were
married on the 24th of September 1866 at Dennis, NJ. James EWING was the
son of Leaming & Joana EWING.
2. Myra & Jim HOFFMAN with Ella HOFFMAN DAVIS "Aunt & Uncle" also taken at
the Chester Studio in Cape May City, NJ, probably in the 1890's with the
couple appearing to be in their 30's and the little girl about 8 years of
age. Again, with limited research I find James Hollis HOFFMAN b. 19 April
1864 in Lower, NJ married to Mary E. EWING in 1888 at Coldspring, NJ. The
couple had 3 children, Swain, Ella E., and Florence A. HOFFMAN all born in
Lower, NJ. Ella E. HOFFMAN b. 12 Sept 1889 is believed to have married Mr.
3. Claud PHILLIP, taken at the Chester Studio in Cape May City, NJ,
probably in the 1890's with Claud appearing to be about 5 years old at the
4. Bob PHILLIP, taken at the Chester Studio in Cape May City, NJ, probably
in the 1890's with Bob looking to be about 3 years old at the time
5. Ed PHILLIP, taken at the Heiss Studio in Cape May City, NJ, probably
taken in the 1890's when Ed was just an infant
6. Stephen SMITH, postcard photograph taken in the early 1900's at the Bell
Studio in Trenton, NJ when he was in his 20's or 30's, address listed on
back of 276 Greenkind Ave, Trenton, NJ
7. George EWING, no location or studio, an infant probably taken in the
8. Hilbert FELTON's Mother, taken at the Dehes Studio in Philadelphia, PA
probably in the 1890's with the subject appearing to be in her 40's at the
time. I believe that Hilbert FELTON was b. 15 April 1886, probably in PA
and died October 1962 in NJ.
9. Hugo & Stephen SMITH, taken at the MacIntire Studio in Philadelphia, PA
probably in the 1880's with the boys appearing to be 5-6 years of age at the
10. Carper FELTON, taken at the Keely Studio in Philadelphia, PA in the
1860's or 1870's with Casper appearing to be about 5 years old at the time.
This could be a photograph of Casper FELTON b. 1862 son of Anthony & Annie
FELTON who were living in Winslow, NJ with their two children, Casper and
Lotta FELTON when the 1880 census was recorded. The entire family was
recorded as having been born in PA.
11. George FELTON, taken at the Entretein Studio in Manayunk, PA, probably
taken in the 1870's when George was a teen
12. Willie HAAS, taken at the Chester Studio in Cape May City, NJ in the
1890's as an infant
13. Tin Photograph identified as Hannah EWING and Annie OWENS probably
taken in the 1850's or 1860's when they were teens
14. FELTON Home in Rio Grande, NJ "Mother EWING's Home" with family
pictured on the front porch
Some empty slots in the album reference the following names of missing
Hannah F. EWING
Bessie LEIDEY now Mrs. George KNOTT
In addition the album contains 11 "unidentified" photographs, many appearing
to be relatives. I'm hoping to locate someone related to the families so
that this wonderful old treasure can be returned to its rightful place with
family. If you are a member of this family or know someone who might be,
please contact me.
|[OWENS] Photograph Album including OWENS Family by "Shelley Cardiel" <>|