SEE-L Archives

Archiver > SEE > 2008-01 > 1199918417

From: Sara Patton <>
Subject: [SEE] Frederick See's wives:
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:40:17 -0500

At 12:23 PM 1/6/2008 -0600, you wrote:
>Nobody posting on ancestry/rootsweb -- including me yet, although I'd like
>to do something about it! -- attributes any of Frederick's children (born
>between 1745 and 1763) to his marriage to Maria Stemple. Presumably it
>would be safe, by the common standards of family history research, to give
>her name as their mother, right?

Dave,

Herein lies the problem! Unfortunately, there appears to be no definitive
list of names of Frederick See's wives or children found in a will or a
letter and no specific birth or death dates from birth records, headstones,
death or other records. Thus it appears that the list of names with birth
dates and locations (which varies widely from chart to chart) has been
pieced together with little, if any, documentary evidence. Such charts
can be useful as clues for further research but should not be considered as
the whole truth and nothing but.

Based on documentary evidence that fits time and location and other known
factors, I have put Frederick's marriage to Maria Stemple into my chart as
a first wife with the 1744 date. I also put in Catherine (last name
unknown) as a second wife, based on a reference to "Aunt Kitty Hardy" as
John's mother. The name was sent to TJJ See by Charles See of Alma, IL, a
great grandson of Michael See and Elizabeth Morris. In an 1887 letter
from John See's grandson, Rev. Michael See of Wyman, Iowa, I remember
hearing my Grandfather say that his mother married a man named Hardy; it
may be that her name was Katy." Elsewhere, TJJ See writes that she "lived
to good old age, dying about 1806 or 1807. She was known in later times as
"Aunt Kitty Hardy...."

In looking for proof of this "Hardy", we find solid evidence for him in
Greenbrier Co records between 1772-1788 with strong links to the Sees, the
most interesting linking him to Michael See as agent to John Hardy, and of
John Hardy standing bond for Michael See's marriage to Elizabeth Morris in
1780. (Greenbrier Co Historical Society, Original Marriage bonds for
Greenbrier Co.) And we know that most of Frederick's family did return to
the Greenbrier area in the 1770s where they appear in numerous county
records until around 1794-95, when most of the children moved farther west.

Here is documentation for John Hardy in Greenbrier. Where he came from or
when and where he met Catherine See, we don't yet know.

1771-75 Mathews Trading Post Account Books lists John Hardy with Michael
Sea his agent.

1772, Nov 5: Botetourt Co, VA List of Tithables " on green Brier and on
the waters" lists the following names and number of tithables. This list
apparently does not include those on lower Greenbrier or Wolf Creek where
brother David lived. (Botetourt Co, VA Tithable Bk 1:61 Photocopy of
original in file.)
John Hardy -3 (himself plus 2 males over 16-18 (George & John?).

1773, Feb 9: Botetourt Co Court ordered that Church Warden bind out an
orphan child Catherine to John Hardy according to Law (Botetourt Co,
VA Order Bk3A:97)

1773, Feb 12: James Byrnsides agst John Hardy- in debt L40 discharged by
payment of L20. (Botetourt Co, VA Order Bk3A:129, 208)

1773: Botetourt Co, VA Tithable Bk1:105-106. Undated. Alphabetized by
first name. Botetourt historian Charles Burton suggests the list dates ca.
1773.
David Jarred-1, James Jerret-1, John Hardy-3, George Yoakam-1, Coonrod
Yoakum-1, John Seers-1 each are listed on Botetourt Co tithable list for
"Tithables on the Waters of the Greenbrier. No Sees, Morris, or Shoemakers
listed.

1780, Sept 8: "Know all men by these Presents that We John Hardy & Michael
See are held and firmly Bound unto the the (sic) Commonwealth of Virginia
in fifty pounds Current Money to Be paid to Sd Commonwealth to the Which
payment Well and truly to be made We Bind ourselves our heirs Exectr and
Adms Joint(l)y and Severaly firmly By these presents Sealed with our Seal
and Dated this 8th Day of Septr 1780.

The Condition of the above Obligation is Such that If there be no Lawfull
Cause to obstruct a Mariage Intended to Be had and Solemnized Between the
Above Bound Michael See and Elizabeth Shell then the above obligation to
Void or Else to Remain in ful force and
virtue. his
(signed)
John H Hardy
mark

his
Michael
H See
mark"
Greenbrier Historical Society, Original Greenbrier Co Marriage Bonds
Collection.

1781: John Hardy listed in Greenbrier Co. index of Public Claims during
Revolutionary War: Anne Waller Reddy, comp. WV REVOLUTIONARY ANCESTORS
(Baltimore GPub Co. Inc. 1979)-names of those who furnished goods,
services, or supplies to the American army for which they were
paid. 1781--Revolutionary War Claims for Greenbrier Co lists John Hardy
paid L3-14 for 74 rations

1782, June 19: : List of people paid for supplies furnished the government
includes following: (Greenbrier COURT MINUTES BOOK A , Shuck, Vol 1: 109-11)
Wm Morris L16:19 for 339# of bacon
Conrod Yoakum 5 sh.6 p. man and horse 1 day; L16:8 for horse employed
Wm Morrise, use of horse 20 sh.
Leonard Morris, use of horse 20 sh.

Rations furnished by following
Jas. Jarrett 148 Peter Shoemaker 74 Geo Sea -
74
Michael Sea-74 Jesse Jerrett-74 John
Shoemaker-74
Leonard Morris-74 Conrad Yoakham-148 Geo. Yokeham-194
John Hardy-74

1782 - Greenbrier Co,VA/WV Personal Property Tax List: Mr. Wm Hamilton's
District. John Hardy listed with 7 horses 15 cattle, no slaves lving next
door to Barnett Morren and (son-in-law) Peter Shoemaker. Also living in
same district are: Michael Sea, Peter Shoemaker, John Hardy, William
Morris Jr., Conrod Yochim, John Shoemaker, John,Wm and Leonard Morris,
George Yoacham, George Six?, David, Owen, James, and Jesse Jarrett, John
Van Bibber, 2 Wm Griffins, James Graham.
(Note John See living miles south on Greenbrier closer to David Jarrett,
his father in law)

1782, June 19: : List of people paid for rations furnished to the
government includes: John Hardy-74; Geo Sea - 74; Michael Sea-74 (Shuck:
V1: 109-11)

1782, Aug 21: (Shuck, Greebrier Co Records, p. 112-113): -Wm McClung vs.
John Hardy, dismissed (I have not looked into the nature of these court
cases but they may give further clues.)

1783, March 22: John Hardey vs. John Arbuckle (Shuck V1:121)
1783, Apr 24: Mary Murphy an orphan was bound to John Hardy. (Stimson,
Helen p. 21)
1783, May 20:Mary Murphy bound to John Hardy(Greenbrier Co Records, Shuck
V1:123)

Nov 19, 1784: John Hardy vs John Cowardin, dism. (Shuck V1:. 147-48)

Greenbrier Personal Property Tax: (columns: - year, # of
tithables-negroes-horses-cows)
Hardy, John 1782/83: 1/1-0/0-7/8-15/8 1786/88: 1/2-0/1-8/11-13/0
- none after 1788.

Discussion of children in next e-mail.

Sara Patton

This thread: